koi pond type of worms

Reaction score
i just build another koi pond and i have a filter system and light and a great filtering system

when i take the cap of the pump there are very tiny worms. Also after the filtering system i have the same problem.

does anyone have any idea what they are and what to do

thank you
drew

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Are they red? If so I think they are midge fly larvae, Common in pond filters, pose no real problems as ling as they don't get overly abundant and start dying off for some reason such as a chemical reaction from cleaning the filter materail with chlorine water. fish love to eat them if they can get to them.

Please post a introduction, and tell us more about youur self and your ponds. Thanks

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

After i posted about the little lava I called a Landscaping place and they told me that we not a threat to my pond. Actually I was told they were good for the pond it it meant the pond was healthy and balance.

Did not know that the fish liked them.

Tried to sent a pic but I guess i did something wrong

Drew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Drew, Curious if you have had a pond before this. My fish will try to eat almost any bug or whatever they can fit in their mouths, especially worms. That was one of the first things I learned when I started ponding.

Reaction score
Keith

I never had a filtering system and uv system. I just had a pump at the bottom of the pond. So I really do not know what i had. I went to clean the filter and they were in it. I also cut a piece of the line flowing to the pond and it was full of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok, When you are at 5 posts you can post pictures. It would be interesting to see your pond. Good luck with your new set up. There are a lot of experienced people here to give you advice.

Ask a Question