Would love more water plants in zone 4

How can I get more plants to grow in 18" shallow pond in zone 4

• types of plants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • possibly potted plants

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
We have a pond that's only 18" deep (didn't do enough research) and I can't get plants to grow in it. What should be on the bottom of the pond (right now we don't have rocks, dirt, etc. just liner). Would love to have lily pads or other plants to add more interest.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can always take them in and store them in the basement I do that that way I have a head start come spring .A tub or small tote will work .I have doing it for years in a concrete mixing tub

Reaction score
You don't really need anything on the bottom of the pond. What you need is pots to grow the plants in. Any type of pot will do but it should be big enough for the plant. I use a black oil changing pan that I got at Walmart. For "dirt" I use kitty litter. As sissy said take the plants in in the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I'm in a slightly warmer zone (5a/b), but my pond is around 18" deep too. I had good luck with corkscrew rush and also red Louisiana irises last year (my first summer with a pond). They are planted in pond baskets with pond medium. I positioned them on top of some large flat rocks in the pond so that the top of the basket is just slightly below the water's edge. Around the end of autumn I trimmed the leaves off the irises and the corkscrew rush and left the baskets in place. The irises are in full leafy bloom right now--they had no problem wintering in the pond even when it iced over. The corkscrew rush is growing back a little slower but it has definitely greened up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Most plants only grow in shallow waters. Few that will grow in the deep. My pond is 3ft to 7". I put some of my plants in the deep and they hated it. They are now all over the plant selfs and in the bog. Also, water hyison and water lettuce will just float around in your pond. Hyison has a beautiful purple bloom. And with 18" deep, you should look into a heater this winter and cover your pond. It should be fine

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Any native plant will do just as well in your shallow pond than it does in the open. Look for native rushes, arrowheads, irises, lilies, etc.

Ask a Question