Wow! and then I need help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I am truly sorry if I offended anybody with my actions, but please give me a chance to justify why I did what I did. First of all, I have young kids playing in my yard, visiting my pond, along with a young dog that hangs out by the pond. And before anyone says anything about setting an example, the kids know nothing about what happened. The last thing I would want would be one of my kids, their friends, or my dog getting bit by a snake. Secondly, my fish are not "just fish" to me. They are my pets, just like my dog. Each fish was hand picked, they each have names, and I know exactly how long I have had each of them. I know when one is missing. I try to protect them from danger or injury just like I would my pet dog or a cat. If someone would please educate me on how to eradicate snakes peacefully from ponds in order to protect their pet fish and frogs, I am all ears. I've read plenty of posts where minks, owls, herons, raccoons, etc. are causing destruction and death in ponds, and ponders doing anything and everything they can to protect their pet fish and prized koi. Unfortunately, I do not know how to protect my fish from snakes other than to kill them. How do you deter a snake? Catching them by hand is not an option - it would be impossible, and I can't stand guard by the pond 24/7. As far as adding "fauna" to the pond, I would not invite raccoons, herons, etc. to my pond for dinner, so why would I invite snakes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the mystery has been solved. Today when I was setting by the waterfall, not 1, but 2 snakes came slithering down the waterfall rocks at the same time. I was not prepared to kill them or catch them, but now I know they are there. My pond is netted 24/7, but of course, snakes can get through and under the netting, and that's exactly what they did as I watched. They were garter snakes, about 2.5 feet long, both of them. I had this problem 2 years ago - fish disappearing. I went and got the snake trap I bought back then, and set it up on the rocks. I went to church and came back about an hour and a half later to find that I caught both snakes! YAHOO! As I proceeded to pull the glue trap with the snakes away from the pond, another snake came slithering down the rocks! UGH! This time I was prepared - I had an axe! I chopped at it, but only managed to get about 4 inches of his tail. A few hours later I went to check the trap again. I had put down a new glue trap. No snake was in it, but instead he went slithering past me in the flowers! Axe in hand again - chop - got 'em this time. It was the one that I chopped the tail of earlier. I am truly sorry to any snake lovers out there, but when snakes eat my fish, it is war!

So, this explains the missing fish. I am also thinking that this explains the sick fish. I think that the snakes attacked some of the fish and injured them; they were just too big to catch and eat. It also explains why the fish have been so skittish. My poor fishies!

I am leaving the snake trap setup for now. Let's hope I don't catch anymore!

Dave and bettasngoldfish - thank you for your suggestions!
If you were definately sure of your facts and the snake were eating your fish you didnt really have many other options .
Rehoming them would do no good either as they would probably come back again however a bite from a garter snake is all but harmless to us humans so they were no threat to your family .
I have a feeling they have taken up residence in the rocks that make up your waterfall.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
anitapond said:
I am truly sorry if I offended anybody with my actions, but please give me a chance to justify why I did what I did. First of all, I have young kids playing in my yard, visiting my pond, along with a young dog that hangs out by the pond. And before anyone says anything about setting an example, the kids know nothing about what happened. The last thing I would want would be one of my kids, their friends, or my dog getting bit by a snake. Secondly, my fish are not "just fish" to me. They are my pets, just like my dog. Each fish was hand picked, they each have names, and I know exactly how long I have had each of them. I know when one is missing. I try to protect them from danger or injury just like I would my pet dog or a cat. If someone would please educate me on how to eradicate snakes peacefully from ponds in order to protect their pet fish and frogs, I am all ears. I've read plenty of posts where minks, owls, herons, raccoons, etc. are causing destruction and death in ponds, and ponders doing anything and everything they can to protect their pet fish and prized koi. Unfortunately, I do not know how to protect my fish from snakes other than to kill them. How do you deter a snake? Catching them by hand is not an option - it would be impossible, and I can't stand guard by the pond 24/7. As far as adding "fauna" to the pond, I would not invite raccoons, herons, etc. to my pond for dinner, so why would I invite snakes?
I have done my share of killing things in my youth, it's not something I'm proud of, and I'm sure in no position to judge anyone else, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for snakes and I'm glad to say I've never killed one before. I can also understand that sometimes people have unreasonable phobia of certain animals, and snakes are something that are almost universally feared and loathed, along with bats and spiders.
Unless your fish are quite small, it seems unlikely that the snakes would try to eat them. Just how big are (were) they?
The other thing is, as Dave said, garter snakes are perfectly harmless to kids and dogs, but yes, they will eat small fish and you have every right to want them gone if that's what they are doing. However chasing after them with an axe like a Hutu after a Tutsi doesn't seem like the best plan of action. I would think if you are close enough to hack one with an axe you aught to be close enough to catch it with your hands. Of course, it then comes down to that phobia thing again. Even though they are perfectly harmless some people can't bring themselves to touch them with their bare hands. Maybe that's your case?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mucky if thats the case I am guilty of murder on a huge scale as I spent two years as a mate on deep sea trawlers plus all the chickens my graddad taught me to kill for the pot .
Then there is shooting grey squireles that decimate our UK foresty which I did every morning whilst working for them .
It all adds up so who am I to speak

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question