wow i feel dumb

Reaction score
:banghead3:i have been measureing my pond all wrong and im a plumber
it is 14w 8front to back it has sloping walls 2ft at deepest 14x8x2=224x7.5=
1680 right? if so how many koi will be good. want to be sure :100:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dont go by the deepest.. you have to use an average depth.. if it slopes from 1' down to 2' then its average is probably 1.5'... 8x14x1.5x7.48= 1256 gals...and thats only if its square, if its rounded then theres a whole different formula..that said, what size koi are you thinking? what are you doing for filtration? the more filtration, the more fish you can have, and properly maintain water quality!!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
2 foot deep... massachusettes... winter. I am not seeing this as being a very good idea for very long. Considered comet goldies? They can get over a foot long, look like small koi, are easier to keep, will winter over better, are VERY friendly, and are cheap as all get out. Just a suggestion.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pond lady lives in utah...fairly harsh winters..has a pond 14" deep and has decent sized KOI in it, and they OVERWINTER FINE. my fish would be o.k as well, but.. mine are spoiled and come inside to the basement pond. you'll need to tent the pond and run an aerator.

Ask a Question