Yay! Let's hear it for the Cinderalla's of the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Dave, I don't have a location suitable for carnivorous plants such as flytraps, sundews, butterworts, pitcher plants. I ought to get some more interesting bladderworts for the ponds, that may be doable

Grazing critters, excessive heat, increasingly severe droughts year after year limit what's realistic to do. Many of the ponds dry out and I have to figure out a way to cope with such unexpected hazards that climate change is bringing.

Cactii and xeriscaping is probably going to be the 'only' gardening in the future

This climate historically has 4"-6" rain per month, hardly one inch per month now falls and that drops to nil in Summer

Keeping fish, border plants, vegetable plants, speciality plants like carnivorous plants is going further off the radar :::sniffle:::

Speciality plants are better found in season on ebay, the big box stores tend to chug out volume plants for ticktacky suburban house gardens, the web and ebay is a more likely place to find speciality collectors and nurseries

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Addy
Can you list the common carnivourous plants for those who may be interested? I don't think these are found in the local nurseries, or are they?

I have these in my carnivorous bog, with an acidic well they are happy plants.
saracenia:

Tarkok
Judith Hindle
Yellow top
Scarlette Belle
Green purpurea
Dana's delight
ruba

cobra, not common but neat
sundews

Found dana delight at a nursery here in the pond plant area, rated as a annual, it survived over winter in my bog, being a new plant and is now growing nicely.

ebay is a good place to find them, I stick with the high rated sellers.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I just scored a Cobra Nest and a Pitcher plant at Home Depot. They also had the Venus Fly traps, something called Octopus and another one I can't remember but they were very small.
The 2 that I bought have pitchers on them that look like they would hold a 1-2 ounces of water each.
The instructions said to add 1/2" of water to each. They are all primed and out there waiting for visitors. I just hope to get them to survive our hot, dry summer. I may have to resort to finding a way to provide a mist for them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well you need to post some pics as I have never heard of a cobras nest and great score .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wouldlove to see the cobra nest googled it but not much info I could find and no pics where I looked

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Maybe tomorow I will have time to photograph it, right now it is steaks... How would you like yours sissy?....
Just kidding...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Meats no good for you .But do hope to see a pic of the cobra nest can't find a pic of one yet darn

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They really don't have a great pic of it on that sight addy .They at least explain all them and have better pics of the others

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not seen any roaches here ever, so far none around the pitchers.

Ask a Question