yellow aquarium water

Reaction score
I suppose this is only half off topic, since it may effect my pond also. lol

Anyways, I set-up an indoor 20 gal tank about 4-6 weeks ago with gravel, natural rocks, and a powerful spongs filter. There are only rosy reds, and blue crayfish in it. No heater.
The water has been getting more and more yellowish even though ammonia is near zero and I've done water changes quite often. We have well water, so I was wondering if it could be iron. I do see a slight tint to the water out out the tap at times, but for the most part it looks clear.

Could it be one of the rocks? If so, will it stop eventually?

Is there a way to remove iron? Pre-filter past a magnet maybe?

thanks

Reaction score
It is iron you can filter it out using activated carbon make sure you get the low no phosphate or it will cause other issues..

Reaction score
I happen to be doing a major water change on the pond today and the water is def looking yellow coming out and the pond is all murky. It did not look that way in the past. Could just be sediment kicked up from all the rain. I put carbon in the trickle tower and added a sand filter off the fountain bypass. If it does not clear-up I may be stuck with just a frog pond although the minnows are still alive.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yellow water isn't really that hard to clear up, Like stated, try and get all the other levels as correct as possible, Phosphates, GH, KH, and PH. Put a good grade activated charcoal in a nylon stocking and put it where it has a good flow of water running thru it. (example; In a stream, where a water fall comes out, in a skimmer etc.) But something is causing it to get there in the first place, If it is coming from your water supply then you need to filter the water BEFORE adding it to the pond, If it's leaching from a Rock that rock needs to be removed. If it is coming from leaves/wood (TANNIN's) then the leaves/wood need to be removed. In most cases it will not harm your fish unless it is a really elevated amount. I have seen ponds with yellow to brown water that looked like Fresh brewed tea. The fish were not easy to see until they came to the surface, but when they did you could see adults and fry. means it was healthy enough for them to sucssesfully breed.

Reaction score
Thanks. The sand filter and carbon worked. I still have the issue with my indoor tank, but I will filter all added water thru carbon and see if it clears also. I have crayfish in that tank so I cannot hang the typical filter off the side because they could climb up and out.

Ask a Question