addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its the dish soap that kills them. I haven't seen a honey bee in months!
lol we have around 800000 during prime summer time.................hundreds drinking from the bog and small ponds all of the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't usually use techniques to bait pests anymore, like mosquitoes and japanese beetles. My position is that it just bring more to your general area. You do get satisfaction in seeing them in the trap, but you've also attracted them to you from the surroundings. I've now just use simple repellents for the mosquitoes and look for flower (roses) varieties which are not favored by the beetles. Same goes for the garden. I'll only grow crops which the caterpillars don't destroy, though this year the slugs were enemy #1.

as for your attempts to rid the pond of the "yellow jackets", as others have suggested, first correctly identify the bug then use the right method to control or eliminate. Without more details on your setup and correct ID of the pest, it's hard to give you any more advice. Though I suspect there may be a nest somewhere nearby as wasp/hornets can be very territorial. I don't think the pond water or fish are attracting the pests (someone please validate this for me). Look for signs of nesting above and below ground. For us, we've been getting lots of small ground hornets in NJ, in the past few years. Walk by their hole and they swarm you. Very mean critters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have a ton of yellow jackets, right now feeding the bees, the yellow jackets come from everywhere to get the sugar water, the smell of it attracts them. I never see them in the pond or near the pond getting water. Bees yes tons of them, they don't bother me at all.

A beekeeper posted this as a way to attract them and wipe out the queens to be.

Fascinating video...didn't know about the protein.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Those little buggers keep getting meaner all the time!
tpwwasp.jpg

John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mixing dawn with the water
um while the commercials show i duck being washed with dawn there's a big difference in thinking a fish can survive in a bubble bath.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i take it they made a home in some of the rocks around the pond? AT night get a professional water fall foam gun and fill the holes they are in . one drop of sticky foam on them and they are not flying anywhere

Ask a Question