Yes we have no bananas, "but we do have a banana Plant".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well its a case of yes we have no bananas but we do have our very first ever banana plant to go by the pond :cool:
We bought it from one of our koi club members who is a hoticultrurist by trade and had done a chat about plants that could go around the pond :LOL:
So being a bit of a banana nut if I might say so myself (y) we bought it and today Val potted it and its now out in the back garden by the pond :) .
By all accounts they are easy to look after like water and if de headed prior to winter then bubble wrapped they should survive the winter
Give it a few months to grow and I'll take a snap of it as at the moment only the first leaf of the year is coming through. :)
m,mmm next question I wonder if I can eat them :cool:

Dave;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Give it a little chance to grow first sunshine it needs lots of sun which we get loads of in the South West of the UK during the summer so photo's then I'm afraid :(

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Yummers! We have some banana plants around our pond too. They are very little maintenance here. We don't do anything to them. And once they shoot the bananas, they die back and another one pops up. There are loads of different kinds. We have apple bananas, they are small and sweet.

Good luck with it!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got 3 banana plants last year from my sisters neighbor and over wintered them in the basement .I put them out side and they will be planted by my pond .I can't wait to see how they grow

Attachments

• pond bananas 008.JPG
    pond bananas 008.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 305
  • pond bananas 009.JPG
    pond bananas 009.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our's doesnt look that healthy at this present moment sissy but give it a few days we'll see how things go from there :LOL: .
priscilla your a very lucky person want to swap places :LOL: its been a long time since I was in your neck of the woods about 1979-80 if I remember correctly :cool:

Dave :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep the banana plants really get going stronger as they get older .My sisters neighbors is 5 years old and it is a huge clump in her front yard that gets 10 ft tall .She bought one tiny little plant ,come winter she piles lots of mulch on top of the clump and spring it just pushes it's way up .I kept mine in the basement as i did not want to loose them .I see i have several little babies coming up .Had a grow light down there also

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dave if your banana tree is a Musa Bajoo variety it is a cold hardy one and will grow very tall very fast in warm weather. I have one here that I've had for many years. In some mild winters it will not die back all the way to the ground. In that case it grows super tall that Summer but in winters where it freezes all the way to the ground it does not grow as tall but still gets large. You could someday get bananas on it but they will be the fibrous kind and if you eat it you will never need a laxative again................so don't eat it :)

Here is a photo of when I 1st bought mine:

IMG_1130.JPG

Growing:

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

Winter did it in this year but I cut it down to the ground and it will grow back up again:

IMG_4494.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've got one of the Musa Bajoo Bananas that I planted last year. I'm hoping it survived this harsh winter. Didn't realize they were so popular. Here's a photo of it at the beginning of the summer, it was 3'-5' by the end of the summer.

Last edited:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a banana plant once but it did not survive the winter we had. May try again but would bring inside this time.

Ask a Question