Yikes, it's spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a 2000gal pond with seven very large koi and three babies from last year. The pond is rectangular (5X17 feet) and has four filtration systems which keep it sparkling clear. My concern is that our fish will spawn while we are on vacation and will perish from an ammonia spike. Last year they spawned after five seasons of no spawning. I thought that maybe they were getting too old to spawn (ha ha! silly me), but I was sadly mistaken. We ended up losing our largest fish some months later, and while I can't prove it, I feel that it was related to the spawn. Our adult children will be staying at the house and watching over the pond and I am hoping that they will not have to deal with the mess and water changes. I have been reminding my husband not to overfeed the fish, but they know just how to give him that "I'm starving look" that he is a sucker for.
While reading through many of the posts I seem to see very little on spawning; does anyone have any experience with something I can do to discourage spawning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Short of separating the males from the females, I don't know of any way to prevent spawning. While I don't have this system, some members here, have a "flo through" system, where the water continuously drips to the pond. I don't know if that would lower an ammonia spike substantially, or if you'd even want to consider such a set up. Another benefit to it, is you don't have to de-chlorinate your water changes, because it's entering the pond slowly, it dissipates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Controlling a ship load of sailors on shore leave is easier than controlling spawning of fish.
Want to bet Meyer :ROFLMAO: :D:) :happy:;) I'm ex Royal Navy and back in the day we were noted for being able to out "drink" and out "fight" any other NATO nations Sailors including your own :LOL:
At the shout of "Matlot" all bets were off and fists would fly :punch: , we'd not consider it a good run ashore otherwise :smuggrin::jimlad::hungover:
Then it would be a trip back to the ship in the MP's paddy waggon for those they could catch my friend .........(y)
And for those who got caught it would be the Commanders table,"the very next morning" and "Number nines", meaning fines and so many days stoppage of leave for each man jack of them :(:cry:
The strange thing was the very next day everyone was friends again :LOL:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've been told that if you see them begin chasing to stop feeding. They will eat the eggs.

That's true, but I think @lillysbaba is concerned about the effects of the actual spawn on the water quality - koi spawning can be a nasty business.

I would give them a stern talking to and wag my finger in their little koi faces... and then cross my fingers and hope for the best. Fishes are gonna do what fishes are gonna do and in spring a young koi's heart turns to thoughts of love. And by the way - koi can live a LOOOOOONG time... I don't know that they ever get too old to spawn.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
How not to do it. Instant Grandma............
condom.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That's true, but I think @lillysbaba is concerned about the effects of the actual spawn on the water quality - koi spawning can be a nasty business.

I would give them a stern talking to and wag my finger in their little koi faces... and then cross my fingers and hope for the best. Fishes are gonna do what fishes are gonna do and in spring a young koi's heart turns to thoughts of love. And by the way - koi can live a LOOOOOONG time... I don't know that they ever get too old to spawn.
Couple that with the fact that all our koi "may" all be harboring the the deadly Koi Herpes Virus and the fact that spawning can be the so stressful for them especially if your away when they do that it could sadly activate the virus.
This happened last year to our health officers koi and he and his wife had bought no koi for 10 years sadly they had to euthanize all their koi because of this .
What is frightening for us all in our club is that 10 years ago we were buying all our koi form the same dealership.
I'm not saying everyones is infected it just that they may well all have it non of the experts are exactly sure :(

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Couple that with the fact that all our koi "may" all be harboring the the deadly Koi Herpes Virus and the fact that spawning can be the so stressful for them especially if your away when they do that it could sadly activate the virus.
This happened last year to our health officers koi and he and his wife had bought no koi for 10 years sadly they had to euthanize all their koi because of this .
What is frightening for us all in our club is that 10 years ago we were buying all our koi form the same dealership.
I'm not saying everyones is infected it just that they may well all have it non of the experts are exactly sure :(

Dave

So now I have to worry about my fish getting STDs! Holy cow the things I learn. Dirty little fish!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So now I have to worry about my fish getting STDs! Holy cow the things I learn. Dirty little fish!

It's that darned rock 'n roll music coupled with the alcohol consumed around the pond that's turning the critters promiscuous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's that darned rock 'n roll music coupled with the alcohol consumed around the pond that's turning the critters promiscuous.

So what your saying morewater that like Val and myself everyone on this site is into Rock music for us that will be Late 60's rock right the way through to todays Metal.
Well at least our koi dont smoke cannabis [it's bad for them] :cigar: , Vegetable Rights and Peace Man ::cool::angelic::whistle:

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question