Your Zone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have noticed over the last several years that many people still go off the old USDA zone map. I have seen people in my area think they are a zone 5 or 6. It always surprises me that few know they re-zoned the US in 2012 based on the last 20 years of temps. In fact most plant websites I visit shows my zip as 1-2 zones colder than we actually are.

Here is the link to the new (as of 2012) zone map. You may actually be a different zone than you think :)

Pre 2012, USDA had my zip listed as a 6a, but now we are a 7a.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thanks! I think we are still somewhere in 7a/b. I depend on our local HOA to tell me tbh. They say 7, its about right, lol. Sounds like your in a similar area to me Pecan. High Desert.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks! I think we are still somewhere in 7a/b. I depend on our local HOA to tell me tbh. They say 7, its about right, lol. Sounds like your in a similar area to me Pecan. High Desert.

Where in the high desert in CA are you? I am originally from the Idyllwild CA. But I come from a long line of people from the Los Angeles area (7 generations born in CA).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Im in upstate CA, in Weed. Pine forests and high desert. CA is amazing...you know deep south CA, and Im upstate yet the zones can be very similar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Well, it doesn't agree with my experience. It puts me in 6b, -5 to 0 F, but in 2 of the last 3 years we've gotten to -21 & -17, which is close to what the old zone shows, 5a, -20 to -15. So, until more data is collected, I'll stick with 5a!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Well, it doesn't agree with my experience. It puts me in 6b, -5 to 0 F, but in 2 of the last 3 years we've gotten to -21 & -17, which is close to what the old zone shows, 5a, -20 to -15. So, until more data is collected, I'll stick with 5a!
Interesting stephen. we did get a vicious cold two years ago, stayed below freezing for 2 weeks straight and it played havoc, but was far from normal. Sometimes we have a fluke year. Happened more then once in Louisiana when I was growing up too. Staying conservative is a cost effective measure for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):

I bet it can be hit and miss regardless of the zone map and record lows that occur from time to time.

Funny thing is, in 2011 I pulled 20 years worth of local weather station data (high's, low's, first and last frost etc) dropped it into a spreadsheet, created some formulas and tables and after a lot of work realized I was zone 7a!!!! A few months later the USDA came out with the new zone map saying I was zone 7a. :( All that work for nothing! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ahaha! Yes, it does run on averages. I look today and see SOLA is about a 9 but when I grew up there, we could have such nasty winters on occassion, any plant could die that was a 9, but rare any did. i mean like elephant ears ect...they just had to be old and tough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Its really about soil freezing right? Our temps range but what the roots can handle is the important point.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are 6b, still 6b I know some plants I put in for zone 7 have died off over winters, so I stick with zone 6 plants.

Ask a Question