Do owls eat goldfish or just play in the water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
NO goldfish were harmed during this event, but, we did discover today that little owls (much like sighthounds) have intent focus abilities when they see something interesting. Today the owlet dropped by to see what was swimming in the lotus tub. https://photos.app.goo.gl/QUiwkXQLsTimxYgG8

She tried again and again, but discovered goldfish are quick even in a couple inches of water :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4QyEjgU3mrhHRZR7

I watched from the porch until she tired of the game and flew into a nearby tree to rest. So I went back to adding water to the pond.

I had the hoses laid out and didn't realize that they might resemble a snake. But little owlet did and she flew down and landed about 3 feet from me! I was as still as I could be but I pulled out my phone and snapped a couple of shots and then she realized she was right next to me and I was scary! What a day! :love:

20230717_090828.jpg
20230717_085306.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have had a pair of baby owls and a pair of baby hawks. One thing we noticed about both pairs is that they seem to find their legs fascinating and a little confusing. When I was building the pond, I had a kiddy pool with some divided pond plants. The hawks would stand in it and MARCH around - just like human toddlers in a pool. The owlets do the same thing on the cross post of our swing set frame. "Whoa! Legs! I've got legs! What the heck????" It is really entertaining to watch them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How lucky you are to get to see them all! And you'll just have to plan to put that pool out each year for the entertainment value alone! Yes - this little owlet went through the "hey look at those feet" phase too! She was up in a tree marching around and admiring them :) Man these guys just couldn't get much cuter.
1010183.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
How lucky you are to get to see them all! And you'll just have to plan to put that pool out each year for the entertainment value alone! Yes - this little owlet went through the "hey look at those feet" phase too! She was up in a tree marching around and admiring them :) Man these guys just couldn't get much cuter.View attachment 159200
Isn't that so funny!?!?! I wonder if other birds of prey do this, too?

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I had the hoses laid out and didn't realize that they might resemble a snake. But little owlet did and she flew down and landed about 3 feet from me! I was as still as I could be but I pulled out my phone and snapped a couple of shots and then she realized she was right next to me and I was scary! What a day! :love:
What a great shot of the owlet! I wonder if I could lure our local falcon in close enough for a photoshoot with a decoy snake. So far, I've seen him/her a few times in the stream and once perched on the carp rock in front of the falls. I would have loved to get a photo, but as soon as he spots me, off he goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
LOL --- come on over!
So nice of you to offer! However, I'm too far away (for now), but be careful what you offer for if you continue to post these owlet pics I might just have to move next door! In the meantime I will just have to continue to get my fix from your photos:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So nice of you to offer! However, I'm too far away (for now), but be careful what you offer for if you continue to post these owlet pics I might just have to move next door! In the meantime I will just have to continue to get my fix from your photos:)
I'll keep you in mind if the house across from us becomes available. The owls wander around behind that house too :) Meanwhile, let's enjoy these guys while we can - that kiddo should be leaving soon.

Ask a Question