1 GF dead & 1 ill

Koiguyjoe

Life's short, enjoy koi
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an outdoor pond about 850G and it has 2 aqua plants, 8 koi and now 3 goldfish. I am a new ponder and i know i have lots to learn but i feel i do pretty well... But yesterday morning i found my shubumpkin goldfish had died and i couldnt figure out why.. And now one of the goldfish seems distant now with slow swimming and wanting to be alone.. Idk if its hes sick or what... Now what i did different then usual was for the first time in put some plant food in the water and also a stress coat additive bcuz of the added water i put in... I usually add the tap water conditioner when i do add water but this time used the one with stress coat by API. The plant food says it safe for fish... And its also been very hot. (Boston Ma.) i since the fish passed-i put an umbrella over the pond for shade-about 60percent coverage.. And i also have not added any more plant food or stress coat and probably wont again. Water levels were normal. Any advice on how to tell if illness is the case or maybe on how the other could have died?! I use pellets for food and I'm thinking of trying a sinking flake for the golds so the wont take in so much air at the surface-maybe rule that out...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What are your water temps .and do you have an aerator because if they died in the morning it could be a lack of oxygen .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What do you mean by "plant food"?

Sorry - you'll probably get lots of questions before you get any potential answers.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! But so sorry to hear you're having problems.....

Can we get a little more information about your pond?
  • where do you live? [oh, just went back and read, Boston]
  • 850 gallons -- how deep?
  • how long has the pond been up & running?
  • what size are the fish you have now, including the koi?
  • have you added any new fish recently?
  • do you quarantine your new fish before you add them to the pond?
  • do you check your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH? -- if not can you get a test kit [the drop kind, not the strips] and tell us what the readings [actual numbers] are? or can you take a water sample to a pet store --- some will check it for you. I think most of us use API kits.
  • do you by any chance check the temp. of the water?
  • what do you have for filtration?
  • what size pump are you using?
  • do you have any aeration like from an air pump?
  • did you notice any unusual behavior from the first fish before it died? have they been staying more near the surface or near a water flow, acting like they're gasping or anything like that?
  • is there a possibility that you could have run-off from your yard getting into the pond?
One thing I can say is that your pond is not really big enough for koi. My guess would be, esp. with all the heat we've been experiencing recently, that their isn't enough oxygen in the water to support your fish load. But answer the above questions for us, and we'll take it from there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've a feeling it was a combination of effects on the pond tht have caused your problems , first the heat next and I quote you " I have an outdoor pond about 850Gallons", you may well have overdosed your fish on dechlorinator combined with the plant food and this has used up the available oxygen in the pond at that time .
One needs to know the exact messurement and volume of a pond so that you can safely treat your pond and fish without un-intentionally OD'ing yoiur fish this is an important thing to remember for future treatments , we messured our water into the pond with a water meter to give us the exact gallonage.
Add a few extra airstones to the pond for the time being and keep your fingers crossed your .
I wouldnt worry about the fish taking in air at the surface but a quick glance should tell you if your fish has a problem .
Are its fins clamped to the side of its body , is it hanging in the water column head down, are any fins rotten is the fish flashing i;e scraping along the sides of your pond , is it staying near a water fall all the time etc .
Learn to read your fish daily look for all of the above.......
What are your water perameters at present Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph etc
Can you see anything in the way of parasites i;e white spot, etc could you possibly take a clear close up photo of the fish to see if we can pick up on the fish's problems .

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question