1 koi lying motionless on the bottom of my pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all 1 of my koi is lying motionless on the bottom of my pond has not surfaced for food in 2 days. He swims if disturbed as normal not sure what the problem is. I had my water tested at the local aquarium store today and seems fine all the other fish are swimming fine?? may I add the fish are about 8 weeks old now image of my pond attached cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20150819-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20150819-WA0000.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 929
  • 1440006482450.jpg
    1440006482450.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 693
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your fish. Please answer these questions so that you can be better advised how to help your fish.

Before posting please take a moment to think about what information could really help the other members to help you. If your question is about water quality then this is particularly important! Water quality can have a great impact on fish health. To help us better help you with your fish or water problems please read the following.

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for any issues to be identified. Therefore please answer these questions as completely as possible:

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Other useful information:
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

If you do not have a test kit, you may be able to take samples of your pond and tap water to your local fish store for testing (which is often free). Please request numerical results rather than generalizations like "OK", "fine", "safe", "acceptable", etc. However since knowing your water quality is important, we suggest you get your own test kit. A drop kit is both more accurate and much less expensive per test than the test strips.

Photos can also be a big help!

Forum Etiquette
Becky, Jul 19, 2013Report
#1Like

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Can we get a little more information about your pond?
  • where do you live?
  • what size is the pond / how many gallons / how deep?
  • how long has the pond been up & running?
  • is the pond in direct sunlight / any cover or shade?
  • do you add any chemicals to the pond?
  • what size are the fish you have now?
  • have you added any new fish recently?
  • do you quarantine your new fish before you add them to the pond?
  • we like to see the actual numbers on water tests -- next time you take a sample in, ask them for the numbers, or better yet, purchase a test kit. We usually look for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.
  • do you by any chance check the temp. of the water?
  • what do you have for filtration?
  • what size pump are you using?
  • do you have any aeration like from an air pump?
  • did you notice any unusual behavior from the fish before?
I know, lots of questions, but since we're not there, we have to depend on your information to help us get a better picture of what's going on.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I always hate to hear a fish is in trouble but if anything can be done you are in the right place to find out so I hope someone knows what to do and your koi gets better.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i ask why the water looks low in the pond

it's around 5ft deep at that point mate plus being made out of wood I didn't want to put to much pressure on the sides although it's pretty well built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

Can we get a little more information about your pond?
  • where do you live?
  • what size is the pond / how many gallons / how deep?
  • how long has the pond been up & running?
  • is the pond in direct sunlight / any cover or shade?
  • do you add any chemicals to the pond?
  • what size are the fish you have now?
  • have you added any new fish recently?
  • do you quarantine your new fish before you add them to the pond?
  • we like to see the actual numbers on water tests -- next time you take a sample in, ask them for the numbers, or better yet, purchase a test kit. We usually look for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.
  • do you by any chance check the temp. of the water?
  • what do you have for filtration?
  • what size pump are you using?
  • do you have any aeration like from an air pump?
  • did you notice any unusual behavior from the fish before?
I know, lots of questions, but since we're not there, we have to depend on your information to help us get a better picture of what's going on.

UK based
pond is 12ft by 6ft and around 5 ft deep
no air pump at the moment although I do own 1 it's 30% shaded at all times1i added 1 replacement as I lost one due to it swelling up like a balloon, not sure on temp I will purchase a testing kit tomorrow all the fish are pretty new around 6" all seemed fine until the new arrival, pond has been running for around 3 months added fish after 2 no chemicals used

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok so most of it is in the ground .i thought it was all above ground .Always have to put new fish in a separate tank so if they are sick they will not spread it to your pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how long do they need to be kept separate mate? The 1 I lost was put in with all the others on day 1 died after 8 weeks but I don't think it's contagious

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rayman 88 welcome to the forum we are in a damp soggy Plymouth lol where in the UK do you come from .
Weve been keeping koi now for 28+ years , I'm a tad confused at the moment , you lost one koi to dropsy [i added 1 replacement as I lost one due to it swelling up like a balloon].
Tell me did you quarentine this new koi prior to it going into your pond ?
Do you know exactly how many gallons you have in your pond[important to know for treatment].
May I suggest also rather than relying on your local aquatic shop you buy an API pond master test kit + an API nitrate kit so that in future you dont have to rely on them.
Why not go online and buy a Swimming pool remote thermometer and put it in the pond we have one and all we need do to see the temerature both in summer and winter is glance up to our mantle piece and read it [16.5c is its current reading]
So your fish is sitting montionless on the bottom of the pond , can you tell me if its fins are clamped into its body or not ?
If you could take a photo that would be even better .
Tell me whats the small pond with the filter pouring into it your QT unit, would you happen to know its exact gallonage [as before important to know exact gallonage for treatments], sorry for all the questions but it gives us an overall idea about your fish how they are kept etc [you can learn alott]:happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing Rayman do you have any books on koi or koi health books believe me when I say they are important in that your in luck we happen to have a large library of books many are available on Amazon at what are quite cheap prices nowadays they will give you the grounding you need in our hobby :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/our-updated-library-with-reviews.11/

I take it your a novice yes ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i
Hi Rayman 88 welcome to the forum we are in a damp soggy Plymouth lol where in the UK do you come from .
Weve been keeping koi now for 28+ years , I'm a tad confused at the moment , you lost one koi to dropsy [i added 1 replacement as I lost one due to it swelling up like a balloon].
Do you know exactly how many gallons you have in your pond[important to know for treatment].
May I suggest also rather than relying on your local aquatic shop you buy an API pond master test kit + an API nitrate kit so that in future you dont have to rely on them.
Why not go online and buy a Swimming pool remote thermometer and put it in the pond we have one and all we need do to see the temerature both in summer and winter is glance up to our mantle piece and read it [16.5c is its current reading]
So your fish is sitting montionless on the bottom of the pond , can you tell me if its fins are clamped into its body or not ?
Tell me whats the small pond with the filter pouring into it your QT unit, would you happen to know its exact gallonage [as before important to know exact gallonage for treatments], sorry for all the questions but it gives us an overall idea about your fish how they are kept etc [you can learn alott]:happy:

Dave

I have ordered my testing kit today mate, not sure on how many gallons my pond holds I will work it out once I'm home from work. iv also ordered a thermometer, he was lying around 2inchs from the surface at 6 am this morning by 9am back on the bottom, I didn't no they had to be kept in quarantine until joining this forum. nothing looks to be wrong with just very still occasionally swims to the other side of the pond, btw I'm from Birmingham

Attachments

• IMG-20150820-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20150820-WA0001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 475
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i

Dave

I have ordered my testing kit today mate, not sure on how many gallons my pond holds I will work it out once I'm home from work. iv also ordered a thermometer, he was lying around 2inchs from the surface at 6 am this morning by 9am back on the bottom, I didn't no they had to be kept in quarantine until joining this forum. nothing looks to be wrong with just very still occasionally swims to the other side of the pond, btw I'm from Birmingham

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing Rayman do you have any books on koi or koi helph books believe me when I say they are important in that your in luck we happen to have a large library of books many are available on Amazon at what are quite cheap prices nowadays they will give you the grounding you need in our hobby :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/our-updated-library-with-reviews.11/

I take it your a novice yes ?
Yes mate iv only just brought my house and the pond was the 1st project could you send me a list of the books names and author please much appreciated

Ask a Question