1 koi lying motionless on the bottom of my pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah a Brummy visited your fair City on many an Occasion whilst in the Military 72-81 used to stop off at the Tavern in the Town our favorite watering hole whilst waiting for a thru-connection to Manchester I was in the Royal Navy
Taking early chistmas leave as a single man I narrowly by an hour missed the bombing, all we knew about anything was there had been an incident and we werent allowed off our trains [until I got home to Manchester] that was "Terrible".
If you koi is ill we'll soon get to the bottom of its problem .
Heres a list for the novice keeper to help you decide if you have a problem or not:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-are-sick.7/

Go back a few posts Rayman and you can click on it yourself you have my permission to use it mate

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah a Brummy visited your fair City on many an Occasion whilst in the Military 72-81 used to stop off at the Tavern in the Town our favorite watering hole whilst waiting for a thru-connection to Manchester I was in the Royal Navy
Taking early chistmas leave as a single man I narrowly by an hour missed the bombing, all we knew about anything was there had been an incident and we werent allowed off our trains [until I got home to Manchester] that was "Terrible".
If you koi is ill we'll soon get to the bottom of its problem .
Heres a list for the novice keeper to help you decide if you have a problem or not:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-are-sick.7/

Go back a few posts Rayman and you can click on it yourself you have my permission to use it mate

Dave
he has isolated himself from the group and doesn't feed with the others is it because the replacement koi is bigger then the 1 that's isolated itself as he was always 1st to feed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE
been out to feed this afternoon and the koi was on the bottom came up to eat with the others done a few lengths of the pond and after 10-15 mins went back to the bottom no sign of damage and seemed to swim fine. still none the wiser why he is doing this as the other 15 are fine.

Attachments

• 20150820_170333.jpg
    20150820_170333.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 510
  • 20150820_170302.jpg
    20150820_170302.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 600
  • 20150820_170250.jpg
    20150820_170250.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 578
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
he has isolated himself from the group and doesn't feed with the others is it because the replacement koi is bigger then the 1 that's isolated itself as he was always 1st to feed?
If you didnt QT your new koi prior to its going into the pond you may well have infected the koi with a parasite , it might be you have water quality issuse it may even have a swimbladder disorder at the moment ths is what weve got to suss out mate .
The fish you lost to dropsy could indicate a bacterial infection , I doubt it was viral its caused by the the fish accumalating fluids pressure builds up and affects the swimbladder and your fish looses the ability to maintain itself in the water and thus float to the surface .
Your koi could have costia it could be a number of things
You are our eyes and ears at the scene mate you have to describe what you see .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the photo I note most of the fins are clamped by his side with the right pectoral sticking partially out , fins clamped to the sides of a kio indicate he has a parasite of some sort .
Your going to have to get a treatment and have to dose your pond , so could you please work out exactly the gallonage of your pond.
What were your water perameters by the way please mate (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the photo I note most of the fins are clamped by his side with the right pectoral sticking partially out , fins clamped to the sides of a kio indicate he has a parasite of some sort .
Your going to have to get a treatment and have to dose your pond , so could you please work out exactly the gallonage of your pond.
What were your water perameters by the way please mate (y)

Dave
it's 10ft-6ft-4ft 1495 gallons I'm starting to panic spent a lot of time and money on this pond I need answers fast

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
While you're waiting for your your test kit to arrive, would it be possible to examine the gills of the koi?
The colour of the gills may give us a hint if there is a water quality issue.
The numerical results from the water tests that you do will be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While you're waiting for your your test kit to arrive, would it be possible to examine the gills of the koi?
The colour of the gills may give us a hint if there is a water quality issue.
The numerical results from the water tests that you do will be helpful.
it will take up to 5 days to arrive doesn't seem to have any discolouration would it help to remove the fish to try and stop it contaminating others?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't suppose anybody on here lives close and wants to help a brother out il pay for your help? Iv ordered 6 larger koi for my pond but they won't be going in till its ready

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Before you remove the koi, you should determine first that it does indeed have a parasite. Dave54 is our local expert on fish ailment diagnosis. I think we should wait for Dave to respond. He is very knowledgeable in that area and would know what treatments are available in your country.
If that were my koi, I would first determine what colour the gills are. Do the gills look inflamed and red, or are they brown? If they look a normal healthy pink colour, then I think we can rule our poor water quality.
If it is a parasite, then the whole pond may have to be treated anyways.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would just like to thank you for for all the support I will do anything in my power to save my fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Don't suppose anybody on here lives close and wants to help a brother out il pay for your help? Iv ordered 6 larger koi for my pond but they won't be going in till its ready

I would hold off on adding any more fish to your pond until you know your pond is disease and parasite free.
Make sure you have proper quarantine procedures in place before you add any new fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would hold off on adding any more fish to your pond until you know your pond is disease and parasite free.
Make sure you have proper quarantine procedures in place before you add any new fish.
no fish will be going in until I'm 100% sure that everything is fine these little buggers are not cheap

Ask a Question