1 koi lying motionless on the bottom of my pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I understand your frustration but we cant act till we have all the facts including all your water perameters .
From now onwards uless viewing your koi I would run a couple of airstones in your pond 24/7 365 days a year
One of the first basic mistakes a novice does is to not QT their fish, weve all been there mate it causes no end of trouble and worry .
Maintenance of your filters and routine partial water changes are needed.
The bottom of your pond should be kept clear of detritus dead and decaying leaves etc especially in Autumn .
Another thing your novice does is overstock I've counted 15 in your pond already and your only 950 gallons more than us we have around about 10 koi .
All serious koi keepers own a microscope in time I can teach you to do your own scrapes of mucus from your koi to tell which parasite you are up against .
Our own Microscope is a BresserNG x40-x1024 with occular we do a routine health scrape at the start of every season and to tell if a new koi is free fromparasites that may attack your own koi or even vica versa .
Routine Quarentine lasts up to 8 weeks , a good suggestion we founded the Plymouth and District Koi Keepers Society way back in 91 we are a section of the Parent organisation The Brirish Koi Keepers Society [BKKS].
The BKKS has a list of Societies on their website but thats down under reconstruction
You can always join the nearest section to you and have people who like ourselves have fish health knowledge that will be more than willing to come over to give you a visit and mentor you through the first year of keeping.
The list of books I gave you the link to has the titles that all important ISBN number [where possible] and the authors name/names.
A good first book for you would be :-
The Interpet Manual of Koi Health ISBN 1842860992. Keith Holmes, Tony Pitham.
another :-
Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.
One thing you need t learn straight away is net work with koi as damage to the mucus membrane through bad netting is a sure fire route for parasites :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/how-to-correctly-net-fish.17/

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't suppose anybody on here lives close and wants to help a brother out il pay for your help? Iv ordered 6 larger koi for my pond but they won't be going in till its ready
Just thought I would bring this up, but isn't your pond only about 1500 gallons? How large are the new koi you have coming? This might be quite a large fish load for your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand your frustration but we cant act till we have all the facts including all your water perameters .
From now onwards uless viewing your koi I would run a couple of airstones in your pond 24/7 365 days a year
One of the first basic mistakes a novice does is to not QT their fish, weve all been there mate it causes no end of trouble and worry .
Maintenance of your filters and routine partial water changes are needed.
The bottom of your pond should be kept clear of detritus dead and decaying leaves etc especially in Autumn .
Another thing your novice does is overstock I've counted 15 in your pond already and your only 950 gallons more than us we have around about 10 koi .
All serious koi keepers own a microscope in time I can teach you to do your own scrapes of mucus from your koi to tell which parasite you are up against .
Our own Microscope is a BresserNG x40-x1024 with occular we do a routine health scrape at the start of every season and to tell if a new koi is free fromparasites that may attack your own koi or even vica versa .
Routine Quarentine lasts up to 8 weeks , a good suggestion we founded the Plymouth and District Koi Keepers Society way back in 91 we are a section of the Parent organisation The Brirish Koi Keepers Society [BKKS].
The BKKS has a list of Societies on their website but thats down under reconstruction
You can always join the nearest section to you and have people who like ourselves have fish health knowledge that will be more than willing to come over to give you a visit and mentor you through the first year of keeping.
The list of books I gave you the link to has the titles that all important ISBN number [where possible] and the authors name/names.
A good first book for you would be :-
The Interpet Manual of Koi Health ISBN 1842860992. Keith Holmes, Tony Pitham.
another :-
Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.
One thing you need t learn straight away is net work with koi as damage to the mucus membrane through bad netting is a sure fire route for parasites :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/how-to-correctly-net-fish.17/

Dave
hi dave I have a friend on Facebook who breeds koi he's been round and tested my pond also looked over the koi he said everything's fine he also does his own scrapes he's now filling his pond in so that's were the new koi are coming from also 6 of those fish have now moved on to a friends pond 950 gallons don't round right. He wouldn't let me have the fish if he thought they may be in danger also he is going to guide me along

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I would bring this up, but isn't your pond only about 1500 gallons? How large are the new koi you have coming? This might be quite a large fish load for your pond.
Yes mate 1500 gallons I think there will be 6 15" to 20" and 6 baby's around 8"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't got a clue mate but it came out a pond twice the size of mine my mate said it's fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rayman we all make the mistake of adding too many koi to the pond when novices problem is the more you have the more stress they are under continued stress like that can open them up to all sorts of things health wise.
Did your mate give the koi a scrape Rayman ? if not he cannot say that the koi is free of parasites and what were your water perameter readings mate ?
What worries me is he isnt picking up on your stocking level which he should, have you had a chance to order those books as of yet , they should give you a very good grounding into our hobby.
One thing that hasnt been mentioned by you as of yet is Quarentine what are you doing about that .
Did you turn your air on 24/7 ?

Dave

Reaction score
I haven't read through all the responses but if your koi is new then I wouldn't worry. I put one in last summer and saw him only once in two months he hid somewhere and didn't move at all. When spring came and I didn't see him I thought he had died but low and behold one day he made his presence known and now swims with the others. It took him 6 months to get used top the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Ask a Question