addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe running a tank heater would be better than trying to heat up the room to try to heat up the water. You are one dedicated peep for those fish!

ed2

Reaction score
That's terrible! Lol

Right just a waitin game now and it's going to be fun to see who gets here first... The postman with the filter hosetails, pump, aerator and cover net or the courier with the fish!

Don't worry though, I have lots of contingencies - I have a tank of oxygen that will bubble between 2-15 litre a minute through an airstone and I can do water changes to control nitrites and ammonia! :)

Yay it's actually like Christmas!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, looking forward to how it all goes!

ed2

Reaction score
Yayyyy! Everything has arrived now (apart from the airpump forcing me to buy one from a local shop - another £10 gone lol!

So, the filter system:

3000 LPH pump
10000 litre pressurised filter

It is obvious that whether I run the pump inline or submerged (the pump is amphibious), there would need to be a cover over the end to prevent any of the fry being sucked up. I decided to simply pop the end of a pair of tights over the inlet pipe, which worked ok until it became clogged and I realised that it had clogged with particles within minutes.

So I went exploring my local hardware store for the solution, which I found in the garden planting section. What I decided to use was a hanging basket metal frame, which was shaped into a cone. I discarded the hanging chain and slid the tip of the cone down the leg of a pair of women's tights (it took some explaining to the girl on the checkout when I bought them!), and pulled the tights right over the entire cone. I tied a knot in the second leg and cut it away neatly.

I encountered another problem, as I put too much hose into the cone and it simply just sucked itself again the wall that was formed by the tights. This brought me back to square one, so I simply retracted the hose to leave just an inch within the tube, before securing the hole (the waist band of the tights) with a cable tie around the hose.

So here we have it, a £3 inlet cover that stops the fish being sucked up! It doesn't collect the debris but should clean the ammonia and nitrites from the water I hope!

472887_10150835852385490_618765489_12164158_238304090_o.jpg

And here is a picture of the pump and filter (the pump picture shows how I originally had just the hose covered with a bit of the tights)

458186_10150835849965490_618765489_12164141_611897575_o.jpg

413562_10150835853245490_618765489_12164161_789531068_o.jpg

So after waiting not too much longer, another knock at the door brought the moment I'd been waited for, the fry! :D and it was quite an amusing encounter I have to say. I asked the deliver driver if he could wait whilst I check the fish are ok before I sign, incase any had died. He said, in a grumpy voice, "well what are you going to do about it if they have died?". Now obviously he was thinking there was no real need to check their welfare, but I am annoying flippant at times and without even a chance to consider stopping my mouth, I said, in a childish and sarcastic tone "well I think I'd break down and cry" lol! Anyway, the koi fry:

464967_10150835850960490_618765489_12164148_1603251418_o.jpg

They are lost in the 1000 litre paddling pool! Less than 10mm long each and easily overlooked in the "pond", unless you know they're there and even then you have to look closely!

475069_10150835894205490_618765489_12164388_194315628_o.jpg

The biggest issue I had found now is that filtering the entire volume every 20 minutes was creating a massive whirlpool effect and really throwing the fry around, which I didn't think was healthy. I've overcome this by putting a 14 litre garden bucket under the outlet pipe, and since this sits an inch above the waterline, the water simply overflows gently into the pool. The massive added bonus is that it is now acting like a vortex in the bucket and really mixing a lot of oxygen into the water before it flows into the pool.

I will post pictures of this along with my brine shrimp hatchery at a later date :)

I hope this helps to clarify how I'm working this! And fingers crossed now :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hooray they have arrived safely and had to laugh out loud about the comment you made to the delivery guy about "I'd break down and cry!" They are so tiny! I hope all goes well for you w/ them all and you end up having some neat looking ones!
congratsblink.gif
to the proud papa
smiley_emoticons_baby_taptap.gif

baby1.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very neat! like your stocking fry saver

ed2

Reaction score
Good morning all! Well, I was a bit stressed last night but now I am very relieved and happy :)

The airpump I bought from a Wilkinsons store, as my 480lph one hadn't arrived, decided it was going to break last night, leaving my shrimp hatchery without aeration. Panic set in a bit as I pondered not having brine shrimp hatch by today and my little room mates not having any food for another 24 hours. I realised though, that I had an oxygen tank in my car that I use for transporting fish! So I set that to 2 litres a minute and popped the airstone on it. Well, it worked :D this morning I've had my first batch to feed to the fry :)

One problem I have now is that the fry are so dispersed in such a large pool, I don't know where or how much to feed! Lol! I've turned the filter off for now, and will leave it off for an hour, to allow the fish to get a good feed, given they have only had egg yolk since they left the farm on monday and now. I'm sure the brine shrimp will be getting eaten and I'm thinking that a large quantity could pass through the filter, since the fine foam is nowhere near their tiny size!

To hatch the brine shrimp I have put a 3 litre breakfast cerial storage box in front of the radiator and filled it with water from the pool. I have then added 3 tablespoons of sea salt and put 1lpm oxygen with a long air stone at the bottom. It works out that the temperature sits at around 28 degrees. They took 16 hours to hatch for me, so I am going to use two of these hatcheries. The one with hatched shrimp I will use to feed the fish today, and the other I will set up now to hatch by tomorrow morning and feed the fish, and so on with that rotation :)

Oh and last nigh one of the O ring seals on my pressurised filter decided to give in, thus flooding the floor... Lol! I have now had to set the filter very carefully inside the pool.
I will get around to posting a picture soon!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol the joys of raising fish! Sounds like you are doing one good job, keep it up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you seem to know what you are doing and sounds like it's working fine so far. Keep up the good work!
Seems as tho just when one thinks everything is all in order and on hand then the little things go wrong but you came up w/ a working way to get it all running.

Reaction score
Did u get the fry from new forest? And do u have a pic of the pair they came from looks awesome good luck and alotta water changes beat a filter hiakari makes a food called first bites but 3 week old fry can eat freeze dried mysis and other things u don't have to have baby brine if they have formed tasted buds. U could raise them alotta better in a 100 gallon aquarium if the kiddie pool pops. Good luck and keep the ammonia down they grow faster at 76 and up 2 82 in my opinion it say 72 online but if u can keep the bacteria down keeping the temp u just that little bit speeds up development by double atleast just my advice use it don't use it good luck either way check out my fry its full of tips I'm only at 15 days though

ed2

Reaction score
Hi there,

Many thanks for the advice. I'm new to this and so the advice is welcome. And it was actually your thread about you fry which gave me the inspiration! Sadly I don't have any pictures of the parents I just know they were showas. I think the system is working ok, I checked the levels yesterday and ammonia and nitrites are down so that's great. I intend to do weekly water changes, unless the ammonia/nitrites start to rise in the meantime.

Your fry are growing fast! I've ordered a heater so we shall try to get the temperature up as soon as that arrives.

Oh and as for the house mates, one is here at the moment with me as we have a 3 week holiday... He loves it! He's even helped me design and make the Artemia hatchery and he's staying to feed the fish this weekend, plus he's had me show him how to feed the fish and check the water quality with the liquid test kit... It's great having an assistant! Lol

Reaction score
Get a live meter Cus testing gets old get a smaller volume of water easier to get everybody feed with out having to over feed easier and cheaper to heat clean and everything else tht filter is basically a false sense of security less surface area means less evaporation This hard plastic pool would be alot stronger
http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=SPM2309755603P&sid=IDx20101019x00001a
Also u can buy a kids sand box with a top and water proof if it u need to with ge 1 clear silicone if u need to let it cute for 24 hours but they are water proof from what I can tell they also need light to color up if u want showa don't cull any black ones for atleast 3 months because red takes longer then black I would cull any though hope it helps they inflatable is to easy to pop make everybody chip in and but a 150 gallon stock pond put two 150 clip on lights and call it a day if u have the budget make it work for u good luck one day I'm wanna buy one of ur koi if I sell any so make em look awsome

ed2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Sadly the budget is low for me being a student and I've already spent in excess of £200 now so I'm going to stick with the setup I have as it seems to be working for me at the moment! If I decide to raise any more in the future I will be sure to adapt my setup based on how successful this turns out but since it's working and the water is filtering really well I'm pretty happy for now.

As an update the fish are developing well now and starting to look more like fish already :)

Ed

Ask a Question