250 Showa Koi Fry

ed2

Reaction score
Hello all!

Sorry I've been really busy. I'm back on the road 48 hours a week doing days/nights/evenings/weekends and I have a 25,000 word reflective practice essay to hand in, on top of going through a 2 weekend interview process with an ambulance service.. 25 jobs, 200 shortlisted! :(

Anyway,

I thought it is time for an update now. The babies are now at 11 weeks old and have all developed some patterning. I seem to have tancho, kohaku, sanke, showa, shiro utsurimono and bekko from what I can see! I am quite happy with the numbers I have now. I guess they needed culling/moving on but it would have been nice to decide which ones to keep ;)

The water has gone very very green, which I am quite happy with since I think they are getting a lot of natural food now. They've also started feeding from the top now the weather is better. They get really miserable when it drops at night or on cold days because the temperature gets as low as 8 degrees at times. I'm waiting for the arrival of a fibreglass preformed pond to put them into. It will be considerably larger in volume than the current 1000-1200 litres they're in at the moment and the filtration will obviously be less frequently turned over. Having said that, there is now less fish and I have a 10% constant water change running through.

I am also considering changing the pump from a submersible 3000lph to an Oase Aquamax 5500 mounted externally from the new pond with just a sieve/cover over the overflow inlet to the pump. I'm not sure yet - I will see how it goes with the filtration I have at present as it seems to be working :)

Right, the pictures! Sorry they aren't the best but when I put my camera anywhere near the pool they scatter and in the green water once they go below 2 inches deep its impossible to snap them!

They're mostly over 2 inches now with 1 or 2 getting towards 3 inches! There are also a few that are still less than an inch! Interestingly it seems to be the middle sized ones that are getting the best colouration/patterns.

Oh and the upside down 'sick' fry? He's still alive and he's still upside down. He feeds ok because I put the food close to him. Funnily, he actually feeds off the surface better than all the rest because his mouth is pointing upwards! lol But he has grown as well as the rest and doesn't seem too distressed but I don't know what to do with him? I've grown quite attached and he doesn't seem to be suffering?

64f7e2a6.jpg

d2d0c54c.jpg

As a way to get over losing all the majority of my babies, I have bought some nice koi. They're Israeli (I know I know!) but I liked them:

I'm not sure if this one should be classed as a bekko or a shiro utsurimono?
8e5b7f61.jpg

I like this little doitsu sanke
d99a0344.jpg

And this one I have been told is a chagoi; however I strongly believe it is a mostly brown ochiba since it was in a vat full of ugly ochibas with no chags whatsoever...
70845eca.jpg

Regards,

Ed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your babies are coloring up really well, Ed! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Haha, just noticed my notes for Ochiba and Chagoi are both mentioning "brown", so not sure about that last fish! Someone else will likely chime in that knows more about color patterns on fish. Good luck with them!

Ask a Question