Pond $2500 budget what would you do?

Reaction score
So I'm looking at a $2500 budget. Looking at building close to a 4000 gal pond. What would you do? Trying to get ideas and have been out of the ponds for 10 years so I know things have changed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I guess I'd start pricing components. My main focus would be on a good quality liner and a good pump as those will be two big expenses. Rocks will be third, if you have to pay for them - and with a pond that size, unless you've been collecting for a while I'd guess you're buying rocks.

Are you planning to do your own digging? Or are you planning an above ground pond? Obviously your biggest expense would be labor, unless you plan to do the heavy lifting yourself.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Check out roofing companies or irrigation companies for your liner as I found them cheaper there and same quality. I just rinsed off real well before using. If you can find your own rocks free that is a plus. I was able to get a truck load at a concrete company that had piles of huge to small for a small price. Think it was $10 or $20 bucks and we put on hard hats and they let us pick them out one by one and then they had a washer hose you drove under and could spray them all off in the truck. Bought my 1st submersible pump online at bigalspets.com, it was a Pondmaster by Danner and lasted for 16 yrs and next ones I bought for 2nd pond I found at webbsonline.com Best thing you can do is go online and compare prices for what you want. Takes time but worth it. Webbs has great warranties on Laguna pumps. Laguna has low power usage which helps w/your power bills. I only use submersible so other may have advice on some good external pumps.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Watch video's on you tube and then ask lots of questions .Are you hiring it out or doing it your self .Mine is 5000 gallons and when I add every thing together it comes 800 dollars but no fancy stuff .No bottom drains no prebuilt filter .Also decide where you want the pond for best viewing and easiest to view .I have a friend who does electricity plus my son is licensed electrician .So cost of that and always add more outlets than you think you will need .Make sure the outlets have in use boxes .Cost of stones liner pumps and aerator like said will cost you more than a liner will .Get 45 mil

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not really I got my liner for 247 dollars with free shipping and it came bigger than I ordered from Dr foster and Smith for presidents day sale .My 2 laguna pumps were 179 dollars and 125 dollars each and aerator was 149 dollars .I learned never to rely on 1 pump .If you look at sales for holidays you can really save a lot of money .But my are submerged an some do prefer external pumps .Aerator is really needed .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
not really I got my liner for 247 dollars with free shipping and it came bigger than I ordered from Dr foster and Smith for presidents day sale .My 2 laguna pumps were 179 dollars and 125 dollars each and aerator was 149 dollars .I learned never to rely on 1 pump .If you look at sales for holidays you can really save a lot of money .But my are submerged an some do prefer external pumps .Aerator is really needed .
Do you remember the size of your liner? I need to start pricing things out myself for the upcoming Spring project

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine was 20x30 but came bigger ,not sure why .I had called dr foster and smith so I would get the right sized liner and when I unrolled it out on the lawn I measured it and it was over 5 inch's more on 1 side and I think over 6 inch's on the other side .I did not right it down so not sure the size I got any more .On sale price was 247.99 with free shipping .So I got a great price and that was back in 2014

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
mine was 20x30 but came bigger ,not sure why .I had called dr foster and smith so I would get the right sized liner and when I unrolled it out on the lawn I measured it and it was over 5 inch's more on 1 side and I think over 6 inch's on the other side .I did not right it down so not sure the size I got any more .On sale price was 247.99 with free shipping .So I got a great price and that was back in 2014
Thanks! I added Dr Foster and Smith website to my list of possible places to shop
One question: I thought a 45mil liner carried a warranty of 40 years, it said on this page it is only for 20yrs...how come?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some brands of 45 mil say that not sure why but mine is a firestone liner .I think it is an error on their part

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bigred
If you have the room, build a nice big up flow pea gravel plant filled bog to filter your pond. The only expense would be the pea gravel and liner.
That is all I filter mine with and it keeps the pond water perfect.

Reaction score
Sorry for the later reply to everything. I'm going to dig it myself, I can get the liner here local for a good price. My main question is which pump to get. Going to run a surface skimmer and a bottome drain. Been out of the loop for a while for pond equipment. I want a external pump with a prime pot. can be seperate. Anyone ever use a pool pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why a bottom drain @bigred ? Unless you are planning a dedicated koi pond, it's not a necessity and only adds to the cost of your build. You would then need some kind of settlement tank as well. If I were on your budget, I would skip it for sure.

I'm sure someone here will chime in with a thought about using a pool pump - I'm not an equipment expert!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A pool pump uses a lot of power plus is made for clean water not a pond with muck and sludge .My pond is 5000+ gallons and I use 2 laguna pumps ,4 year warranty from webbs .Plus now webbs has them onsale .No bottom drain and no skimmer in my pond .I did not have enough courage to cut a hole in the bottom of my liner ,plus i knew I would need an external pump ..To much work for me to take on .

Ask a Question