j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool little dude! Hope they get the colors you are hoping for Ed. We'll be watching and waiting w/ baited breath :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So you are thinking they will just stay a sold color and get no markings? Can't it take a long time for some to get their true colors?

Reaction score
Take a few outside In a jar and look at them under the sun you might be surprised because under my regular sump light whaich is a 65k they barely show any cool colors but under my reef lights I can see what they will look like but they are kinda like black lights so if u have a black light u can probably try that but at this age u can't expect much color so don't sweat it but from what I gather sunlight beats all it's free and it's bright if u do take a few outside take a pic because it's really hard to tell at this age also do u have any black fry if so those can get red patches as black comes in first and red takes forever so u could have yellow ogons for a few months or weeks before they show good colors also beta caratiine I think that's how u spell it it's what makes carrots orange something I'm looking into but really time sun and good food good luck keep it up

ed2

Reaction score
Here is a snap of them feeding tonight... You can see clearly the growth in just a few days!

459738_10150952599795490_618765489_12322733_1757696843_o.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey looks like they have a bunch of different colors on them.............looking good Ed!

ed2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I would give the official 3 week update. The fish are now 5-6 weeks old and I am still having major nitrite issues. I am doin frequent water changes to keep them under control but it is time consuming! I have also bought them a Medo Air Pump (pricey but they're worth it... I hope ;-) ) which is pumping 40lpm as opposed to 5lpm. This is intended to create stronger current to get them swimming harder and in a few weeks I will pop the filter outlet in the pond to create a heavy flow to really get them swimming!

Sadly I lost the runt fish, which was lovingly called 'banana fish' because he appeared to have a small amount of lordosis lol!

Anyway, here's the little guys today :)

092e8ca5.jpg

746b65f8.jpg

99dc08d3.jpg

63694b18.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry about losing the little one but look how many more you have left! You certainly have put in a big effort in helping them survive and grow nicely.

Reaction score
I could be wrong by 100000% but where are ur nitrates building up in filter media so may eat this point ur media is doing more bad then good look into that take ur media chamber out or just turn it off do ur 20% water change and test for a few days because fresh water should be free or nitartes phosphates yea my house water if full of tht but the ni na is from waste I've had problems with filter floss it takes the crap out the tank but it's still in the water colum so what I did was buy a bag of filter floss and use it for a day or two then throw it n the trash because like u I didnt have a system that was ready for fish still cycling probably but at 55 gallons its no biggie to change 20% of the water so just test it see if that helps because even bio balls are ni factorys until they get far enough in the cycle to convert that into nittrogen which is a gas that leaves ur tank by bubbles. Once again I could be wrong that's the beauty of nature what works for me doesn't necessarily work for u vice versa and sorry to hear about ur fish because when they get 3 inches Long I was gonna try tO buy your solid blacks because bealive it or not it's hard to get them because fancy breeders kill them ASAP and I need a solid black to mix with my sankee female to make Showa two Showas will only put out 99% black yea I just learned tht a week ago good luck and btw ur still got better odds then me also u migh wanna try to pick out all the ones with multi colors to really spend ur time and money one so find a friend with a empty pond to give the rejects to as opposed to killing them because alotta my "solid one colored ones" out back are now multi but if ur loosing pretty ones u kinda are their god in a sense so now u decide are ur the new bible god who buys another big pond to grow out everybody or are u an ok'd testament god who's all fire and brimstone Aka kill or cull the uglys but yea u run saltwater reefs and if u have a filter tht is biological for the first few weeks it's gonna spike alot until it evens out. Once again I could be wrong so do your research And do what works for u.

ed2

Reaction score
Thanks!

Imtaking them back home on Thursday afternoon so they havent got long left in my bedroom! It's a shame because I have grown to like the noise at night, it helps me to dream! Lol

They still aren't showing any colours but hopefully a few more weeks! No rush anyway :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are looking good ed! When you get home stick a few in your bedroom in an aquarium to keep you company till they outgrow it. Then you can dream your dreams w/ the noise of the filter falls running! What kind of colors are you looking for them to show............reds, blacks or ?

Ask a Question