30 gallon tub

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I'm setting up this 30 gallon tub to be used for an outdoor guppy pond. My question is what type of heater and wattage should I use? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210319_124439.jpg
    20210319_124439.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210319_124433.jpg
    20210319_124433.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 62

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Some more info would be helpful. Fancy guppies or feeders? Where are you, that is, what is the lowest temperature you will have to deal with? Looks like you have some nice sun there-year round?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I wouldn’t think that a heater would be necessary, especially if it gets some sunshine. In fact, you might find that the water gets too hot. Smaller containers are more difficult to regulate, and it looks like, with all the decorations in there, you will actually have way less than 30 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Missouri so it can get down to freezing temps the guppies are going to be the ones that where born with the scoliosis. I can't find it in my heart to throw them out so I plan to put them in this tub once the temp stops hitting under 60° I'm going to put some plants in the water that will provide shade and the sides will be covered with soil and plants as well. From what my reading has informed me is that they won't live because of the scoliosis but there 4 months old and doing just fine in a tank just for these little guys. Now just incase it gets too cold I want to have a heater so they don't freeze so my question is what type and wattage is recommended for an outdoor heater to put in there. They are just a mix of low grade guppies like yellow and orange tail so nothing special.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Some more info would be helpful. Fancy guppies or feeders? Where are you, that is, what is the lowest temperature you will have to deal with? Looks like you have some nice sun there-year round?
live in Missouri so it can get down to freezing temps the guppies are going to be the ones that where born with the scoliosis. I can't find it in my heart to throw them out so I plan to put them in this tub once the temp stops hitting under 60° I'm going to put some plants in the water that will provide shade and the sides will be covered with soil and plants as well. From what my reading has informed me is that they won't live because of the scoliosis but there 4 months old and doing just fine in a tank just for these little guys. Now just incase it gets too cold I want to have a heater so they don't freeze so my question is what type and wattage is recommended for an outdoor heater to put in there. They are just a mix of low grade guppies like yellow and orange tail so nothing special.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I wouldn’t think that a heater would be necessary, especially if it gets some sunshine. In fact, you might find that the water gets too hot. Smaller containers are more difficult to regulate, and it looks like, with all the decorations in there, you will actually have way less than 30 gallons of water.
I put 30 gallons of water in it that was with the decor in there. There will be shade cover over the tub and im not really worried about regulating the temp just keeping the water from freezing next winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to thank every one for the replies as some forums get no replies. I will post an update when the tub is finished and thanks again all.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure of exact wattage for your tub. Here are a couple of threads you might find interesting:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-2-3.10570/page-102#post-452593

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/titanium-water-heaters.26169/#post-419846

If you are able to remove the wood during the cold times, you could cover it and that would make a huge difference in maintaining a decent more stable temp. with a smaller heater and reduce evaporation.
I could just use the wood for my dome like she sets up thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@callingcolleen1 keeps guppies in an outdoor pond all winter long in Canada - if I hadn't seen her videos for myself, I wouldn't believe it!

Oh I see @JRS beat me to it!
Thanks for the reply that video just boosted my confidence for this winter. My grandmother has two homemade ponds in her yard with no heater and coi that breed like crazy it amazes me the water will be froze on top and I think no way them fish are still alive and in the spring she has to give away the little ones and there only maybe 70gal at most so many plants in each fish are so resilient. Thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m a state over in Oklahoma. I do “ summer tubbing” where I set up fish I want to breed in various set ups outside, last year I put a good amount of guppies in my 100 gallon mini pond, and they bred like crazy. No heater, I didn’t set it up till temps were steady in the high 60s at night, and brought them in before they got too low. I did cover the top with chicken wire to keep the kingfisher out, as well as any other fish eater that may come up. How many guppies are you getting with scoliosis? You may want to get new genetics in your breeding population to reduce how often that comes up. Just be sure to get good quality fish, and quarantine them at least a month, watch for ick or other issues. Guppies are bad about carrying ick.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! you are getting good advice above!

Ask a Question