300,000 ltr pond - Advice Request

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

hope I have done this right?

I have recently completed the fill of my new pond after almost a year digging and getting the correct shape and depths. Now I need some advice on stocking and possible filtration and waterfall pumps. Not even sure if With this size pond it is possible to filter. I would like to have KOI eventually but was going to get some simple gold fish type fish to start with.

Can anyone advise the best way forward as my next step? I have around 60 aquatic plants in place so and the pond has been filled with a combination of tap water and rain water. It’s been full for almost 2 weeks now.

many thanks
Ricky

Attachments

• 971A1083-9891-4F67-ADF9-EFE13AE5AD16.jpeg
    971A1083-9891-4F67-ADF9-EFE13AE5AD16.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! That's ginormous! What size liner did you need? What's in the middle?

And I'm with @j.w - I'd go with wetland filtration on this pond. Filter and waterfall all in one.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@XxRICKYxX Hello and welcome!

How large is your pond, and is it located where it will get power? Oops! I just noticed the size as part of the title!

Is that an island in the middle and how did you do the liner around it? Interesting feature! What kind of liner material did you use (I’m just nosy;))?

Yes, agree about a bog or wetland filtration! Your pond looks like that would fit in beautifully! I can also see where a bridge of some sort would look great!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! That's ginormous! What size liner did you need? What's in the middle?

And I'm with @j.w - I'd go with wetland filtration on this pond. Filter and waterfall all in one.
I used a 30m x 16m liner, it’s an island in the middle just have to cut the excess liner now it’s settled down. The liner covered the whole area island too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@XxRICKYxX Hello and welcome!

How large is your pond, and is it located where it will get power? Oops! I just noticed the size as part of the title!

Is that an island in the middle and how did you do the liner around it? Interesting feature! What kind of liner material did you use (I’m just nosy;))?

Yes, agree about a bog or wetland filtration! Your pond looks like that would fit in beautifully! I can also see where a bridge of some sort would look great!
Yes I have power and water in the corner above where the waterfall and waterfall small pond will go. I planned to pump water into a top holding pond which will spill out and down the waterfall but was thinking of pushing the water through a filtration system before it goes in the smaller pond. The liner covered the whole pond and I just cut out the centre to allow for the shrink/movement when filling. Bridge is planned at some point but plan to put couple ducks on the island and we have foxes in the area so have to think about having it retractable...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I have power and water in the corner above where the waterfall and waterfall small pond will go. I planned to pump water into a top holding pond which will spill out and down the waterfall but was thinking of pushing the water through a filtration system before it goes in the smaller pond. The liner covered the whole pond and I just cut out the centre to allow for the shrink/movement when filling. Bridge is planned at some point but plan to put couple ducks on the island and we have foxes in the area so have to think about having it retractable...
Sorry pond is approx 25m x 12m and deepest point it’s 6ft but I have various ledges and depths for the fish to feel safe etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will search for a wetland filtration system, I have another pond in progress a tier below this one it’s deeper and longer but not as wide, I plan to stock this with perch, roach, and common carp for fishing. The upper pond (one in picture) over flows into the fishing pond and the fishing pond overflows to a lower area below both ponds, I guess I could put a big down there but would be a long way to pump the water back up so think it might not work. I have rain water taken from the roof of the cabin in the photo by way of underground pipes so have most of it covered just think if I want ornamental fish in the top pond I should filter it in some way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry cabin is in this photo lol not the previous one

Attachments

• 28B92541-9956-44B6-8D6E-7BBB42BBE5A9.jpeg
    28B92541-9956-44B6-8D6E-7BBB42BBE5A9.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good grief thats one heck of a project.
A bog is the only way to go but it is going to cost you probably twice what the pond cost you and then there is the electric . But if you patient a bog 1/3 the size required may do the job but keep you fish load low until it is stabilized and im talking like three years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! Good luck with your project. A wetland might be a better name than a bog for what you need. Then you can have natural filtration. There are a lot of threads on GPF about how to build them.

Ask a Question