4 Day winter is over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Country, The incremental amount you will keep your pond warmer without running your waterfall is far outweighed by the advantages of having it working. It will keep your water much fresher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I decided to proclaim the beginning of Spring here today too :nananananana: even though we're looking at 40's all week. I figure the coldest weather is past us now, so I pulled the big heater out of the filter and dropped the media back in place. I got a new net on clearance a couple weeks ago, and the net is just right to scoop up gravel off the bottom but let the sand sift back through, so I got some of the gravel cleaned up. Surprisingly, a couple of my irises stayed green in the water all Winter. Some of the plants are starting to show signs of life, including my largest lily.

Unfortunately it is not looking promising for my tall grasses I planted around the edge last year. I just cannot understand why these things will not survive a Winter. They should have had plenty of time to get some deep roots sent out, plus this has been a fairly wet Winter for us. I've tried various types up to two zones colder than me, but they never come back the next year. The only hope I still have is that these dropped seeds, so maybe those will come up. Of course there's always the chance that its just a slow-starter. The bleeding hearts look dead until almost June before they take off.

Ah well, got more of the dead leaves out of the bottom of the big pond, and the fish should be getting active soon and stir up the rest of the dead matter. Hooray for Spring cleaning!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only tall grass I have had luck with is pampas grass and zebra grass and I cut it back to the ground in the spring so it grows back tall and thick .Here we should be able to keep purple fountain grass growing back but it dies on me and won't reseed itself

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I ordered some Lotus tubulars today , going to ship out next week
I will have time to get them growing before i drop them in the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have lotus I got from the abandoned pond but it did not do good in the pond last year so I put it in the stock tank

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My kois food came in and they got to eat
Pond temp is 64 i knew they kept looking at me funny

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this says it all
407180_2967415862480_1119082410_n.jpg

Reaction score
lol Koiguy! While I got hit with the latest big snowstorm to hit MI it was only 5 inches and is melting fast today. Am looking forward to possibly opening my ponds early this year. I am still gonna wait for a while as our wheather is so variable here in zone 5b of MI.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My Koi are already use to getting fed already
Its nice to see them on top of the water begging for more

Reaction score
I got my waterfalls running yesterday. We did not have a cold winter and I really don't think we will have any deep freezes this season. The fish loved it, playing in the falls and eating stuff that got scooped off the bottom. It will take a few day to totally clean out the big pond and I don't want to add the UV light yet since we still might see night temps in the 20's and 20', although tomorrow will be in the high 70's. I see signs of life in the lilies and other plants in the pond. I just ordered spring food because the water is not warm enough to feed them and there is a lot of algae they need to eat in the pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We never know what kind of lows temps are still gonna pop up but time is running out for winter
last night the low was 68 but a 38 is in the forecast it wont last long enough to bring the pond temp down much
This has been the first year i never had to shut my pond down, saved me some work
On average i turn my pump off for 1 week a year

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am waiting to net the bottom, giving the hibernating frogs, tads etc a chance to wake up before I mess with their winter home. I do see some leaves collected in the deep end.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Winter not over here. 32F here now. Right now the snow is coming down pretty good but won't last cuz going to warm up and rain soon.
I can see the bottom of my pond and don't see too much there. I'll wait a bit longer too in case some of those taddies you sent me addy are still around waiting to awaken. If I have them will they turn to frogs this year?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They should, it says they morph the next summer.

Ask a Question