400 gallon pond with bog

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The intake of the pump is pvc (or flex) pipe to a pvc distribution under gravel, the output is also pvc to a pvc distribution under gravel at opposite ends of the pond. The pump is used as if it were external, tubing/pipe connected to input and output, and it could be external, but it's just in the water because I like the no pipe leak worries of the pump and pipe in the water. Sorry I wasn't making that clear, I was thinking it, just not saying so.

That still doesn't explain how you will get the water to circulate through this system with only one pump. Can you post a drawing or schematic?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It sounds like the pump intake is hooked into the downflow bog, which if part of the pond proper I think would be fine. then pump output feeds into the upflow bog, which could be a tub or whatever, that gravity feeds back into the pond.

Only works if the down flow bog is part of the main pond, although then the pump would not be circulating water from the deeper open portion of the pond. Which could lead to silt accumulation in the pond over time as the intake is only sucking water through the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
wow @IPA, your project sounds so much more complex than mine. Went with the "regular" design, is 2.5ft deep but shaped like a trough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
The intake of the pump is pvc (or flex) pipe to a pvc distribution under gravel, the output is also pvc to a pvc distribution under gravel at opposite ends of the pond. The pump is used as if it were external, tubing/pipe connected to input and output, and it could be external, but it's just in the water because I like the no pipe leak worries of the pump and pipe in the water. Sorry I wasn't making that clear, I was thinking it, just not saying so.
i understand u , i have it but instead strictly using gravel in the input i have netting and filter fiber . i tryed only gravel initially but that clogs quickly unless u have very strong pump . it starts working like skimmer so u need to block the leaves and debris or it will accumulate very quickly ... so it need to be mechanical filter then gravel in my experience may b 2 layers ... that water is pumped to another bog on a higher place plus waterfall in my case . i built it to increase bio media and my pump was clogging very quickly so i needed this system to protect it .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
i understand u , i have it but instead strictly using gravel in the input i have netting and filter fiber . i tryed only gravel initially but that clogs quickly unless u have very strong pump . it starts working like skimmer so u need to block the leaves and debris or it will accumulate very quickly ... so it need to be mechanical filter then gravel in my experience may b 2 layers ... that water is pumped to another bog on a higher place plus waterfall in my case . i built it to increase bio media and my pump was clogging very quickly so i needed this system to protect it .
I

If what you describe is indeed what @IPA has in mind, then, yes,it will function, but this does not involve Two (2) 'bogs', but rather what is called an 'inlet bay' (which is not planted) and one 'bog'. This will work as one has, essentially, a gravel-filled skimmer. Inlet bays do clog. Sometimes very rapidly, and are not practical if a pond will be collecting typical amounts of organic material i.e. Leaf Drop.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That still doesn't explain how you will get the water to circulate through this system with only one pump. Can you post a drawing or schematic?

I am working on a schematic or drawing that isn't just a bunch of scribble. I am now also trying to figure out how to mitigate the build up of debris, sludge and hopefully avoid an environment conducive to anerobic baterica as well as an ugly mess as pointed out by @Usman .

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I

If what you describe is indeed what @IPA has in mind, then, yes,it will function, but this does not involve Two (2) 'bogs', but rather what is called an 'inlet bay' (which is not planted) and one 'bog'. This will work as one has, essentially, a gravel-filled skimmer. Inlet bays do clog. Sometimes very rapidly, and are not practical if a pond will be collecting typical amounts of organic material i.e. Leaf Drop.

Meyer Jordan, thanks. I think I have my answer. On the small scale I am working with it just isn't practical and based on your response seems more hassle than it's worth potentially leading to the worst thing that can happen, not enjoying my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i like ur idea to create shallow environment i love that too , u can create that just under ur waterfall / under bog thats feeding the pond, try different sizes of rocks pebbles gravel

yes its big issue if u have smaller pumps it will clog often ,u need skimmer or home made prefilter from some netting or a dam using mesh, fabric

800gph pump wud b good , if u have good balance and plants , u will not need uvfilter atall

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a down flow bog filter in one small pond, mistake, the top filled with debris constantly. My big one I have now is loaded with plants. A lot of gravel a lot of plants has not clogged up since the build date. I do not draw water from the bottom of the pond and do have a leaf filter before the pump. I keep large debris out of the bog. It keeps the pond water in great shape.

No uv no filter except the bog. No air pump running either. Just one pump that runs 24/7

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks @addy1 . As I mentioned in my introduction, I found this forum via your "how to build a bog" post. I've decided to return the 1900 gph pump; I suppose some of the down flow up flow stuff was trying to come up with a solution of adding resistance to the flow to get it to an acceptable rate for such a small pond. I have a 700 gph I'll use instead and plenty of supplemental pumps available if needed until I find a use for them in other water features.

One benefit is I have a redesign that I am more pleased with with up flow bogs on either side. I am a big fan of the pollinators so want to utilize some of this effort for them. I'll post a picture of the design when I get a chance. if the weather cooperates this weekend I may get started but I don't think it will.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Or do a t from the pump send some to the bog some to the pond. I have the ball valve on my lines to control flow if I need to.
I do send a bit of flow to a 1000 gallon pond that waterfalls back into the big pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The white ones at Lowe's work the best. 2 inch size. Think called American.
They have a screw joint. I remove them during the winter.
The red handle ones are yuck.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They have a screw joint. I remove them during the winter.
The red handle ones are yuck.....

Amen to that! Buy the best, heavy duty ball valves you can find and lubricate them. We used plain old Vaseline. You will be glad you did! (Says the girl who spent one long Saturday replacing six of them!)

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
Below are 2 designs. I think I want more bog space, initially I was trying to maximize the pond space. The cinder blocks are 4x8x16 solid caps turned on end. The blocks on the perimeter are outside the liner, the ones inside used to partition the bog(s) from the pond in the liner. I'll cut up some cheep pvc liner to protect the liner where the inside walls touch and lay some over the epdm liner where the upflow tubes touch as well.
The pond is 2 feet deep.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made my current bog around 1/3 the surface area of the pond, comparing surface area to surface area. I am extremely pleased with it. Love my no care pond. I do yank plants now and then, only if I feel like it, do add water (automatically in the summer) but other than that ignore it.

I can count the trap door snails on the bottom in the 5 foot deep area, it is so clear.

Ask a Question