4th of July

Reaction score
Country
United States
Especially for all of our American friends and neighbors, happy 4th of July, a very special time in our history today.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks and happy 4th to you too!

We are staying home, right now hiding from the 93 f with a heat index of 103

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Happy 4th! Nothing going on today here, but I'm staying home and watching the Indycar/NASCAR/IMSA races.

No fireworks, but bursts of color in the garden
IMG_0326 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'll be working tonight. Yesterday just as I was about to sit down to a nice dinner, I got the call our overnight guy walked in, and quit. So I worked it and tried to do books on no sleep, going something close to 24 hrs straight awake. Just woke for food.
I'm annoyed that he quit the way he did. That was a pay day, so I was up early running errands most of the day, staying awake so that I could Go to sleep early, to be up for work by 4:30.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I made a strawberry lemonade cake:) We floated in the pool munching guacamole, then enjoyed grilled Beyond Burgers!

I found a baby frog in our pool skimmer:( It looked distressed, not good....but alive. I placed him in the bog and it didn't move for quite awhile. I was beginning to think he'd died......but then he hopped under some Water Willow :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
On Friday we watched Hamilton and googled facts about the founding of our nation. We've seen it live and listen to the soundtrack all the time, so this was yet another opportunity to soak in all the details. What a fascinating thing history is!

Yesterday we enjoyed all the homemade fireworks displays surrounding us... and all the complaining from neighbors who aren't fans of fireworks. When did we all get so cranky?

Anyway... Happy Independence Day to all!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL someone on nextdoor (I have shut off almost all notifications too many) posted what the heck about all the fireworks going off. We only heard a few.

Unreal it is the 4th!

We won't go anywhere near any, our pups get too scared.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The complaining gets worse every year. "The PETS! The KIDS! The VETS!" We've had dogs that were terrified of them, kids who were scared of them... you deal with it. And it's never the veterans complaining about fireworks - it's just the complainers complaining on their behalf. But now it seems like everyone is supposed to stop doing anything and everything that anyone else might find inconvenient or annoying.

A few years ago the neighbor behind us yelled at us over the fence to stop the fireworks we were doing because his toddler was scared. That toddler is now a kid who apparently thinks playing outside requires screaming like your hair is on fire for hours on end... talk about disturbing the peace!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As a vet, yes I jump when I hear unexpected booms. But I didn't complain when I lived in town, I avoid the big displays, and now, living out in the country. I complain more about the mess they leave behind than the noise, unless we are trying to sleep. This year, I had to work, and has a few jumps due to unexpected booms, but nothing too bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That toddler is now a kid who apparently thinks playing outside requires screaming like your hair is on fire for hours on end... talk about disturbing the peace!
Ha! I know exactly what you mean!
It's the high pitch shrieking that gets me. How can their voices reach such high octaves? And when there's a whole group of them, I can't take it! LOL!
I don't remember our kids shrieking like that!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Last night was like a war zone w/bombs bursting in air and the rockets red glare,in our hood last night. We went to the neighbors and they shot off fireworks. You could see them being shot off in all directions and the moon was so big and bright and as full as can be! After midnight it pretty much all stopped. Today while out riding my bike there were people out looking for their dogs. Poor pets left outside would have been scared out of their minds never knowing which direction to go. They head one way and then blam, they run the other way and on it goes. The horses behind us were not liking it one bit but they made it through and are fine now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@j.w they say more dogs get lost on the 4th than any other day of the year. We've had two dogs that were terrified of fireworks - we always made sure they were securely contained in the house and could be in a spot where they felt safest. For our Lab, that meant he would curl up on his bed in our shower and snooze until it was all over. But he was also afraid of thunderstorms, which was worse - at least we could plan ahead for the fireworks!

@poconojoe - same! My kids would have been hauled inside if they started screaming like that outdoors. They learned at an early age that you reserve that kind of alarm for a real emergency!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We don't go to any fireworks too hard on the kids, they were scared even with the just few that went off near us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
While we're talking noise pollution...why do people leave their dogs outside barking literally all day long? Not only is it super annoying, but seems very cruel to the dogs. They're definitely barking because they're not happy...duh! And don't they get tired of barking hours on end?
People are just cruel...
We never leave our dogs outside unattended.

Ask a Question