addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! Post pictures as you go or start a showcase thread.

Reaction score
it does not take much to hold it together. I built a poorly built pond years ago with 2x4's with ribs too far apart and a sheet of wafer board and it held but it bowed because of getting wet.

Reaction score
I guess I'm going over-kill !!!! I'm also driving 5/8" x 5' re-bar thru the 4 corners and using 1/4" x 8" lag screws along with PL adhesive on the 4x4x8 that I'll be stacking 10 high to give me roughly 35 inches. Probably pound a 5 foot re-bar in the middle of every side as well.

Reaction score
the rebar is problely a waste of time. as long as you fasten the corners that is whats going to make or brake it. the pressure from the water is spread out so you just need overall connections you don't need to super renforce it. I mean look at a cheap swimming pool. Just use the lag screws and glue if you want and thats plenty. trying to drill for the rebar would be a very big pain in the rear. you have to worry more about rot then the thing exploding. keeping the wood off the ground would be the most effective thing. using brick or plastic wood on the ground will go a long ways to helping that. using a sheet of plywood on the insides to hold everything together would do more then the rebar and be easier. if you stagger the joints so the ends overlap and just screw them together that will be very strong. if you are worried get some 90 degree brackets to screw them together thats easier then rebar too.

Reaction score
I want to build another raised pond but I don't have the room. I would use 2x6 treated wood two thick top and bottom with studs 12 to 16" apart. put a sheet of outdoor plywood on the sides and put in some tyvek that covers it inside and out. so it wraps over the top and down the other side. I would have it off the ground if it is on dirt. Then I would use some kind of siding on the outside to make it look nice install the liner and cover the top with cedar rails.
the tyvek keeps the wood from getting soaked you have a air gap between the water and the outside.
photo1-1-1.jpg

Reaction score
DaneDad said:
Thanks for the info Steve, like the idea about the plywood especially

no problem I over think things all of the time. after building two I realized it is not that big of a deal. doing the hollow wall is a lot easier to plumb in.
you want to make a overflow on it so the water never gets too high.
I build a lot of things and overdo it all the time or sometimes under do it.
Just make sure the plywood does not touch the gorund.

Reaction score
The 90 degree hit is slowing down construction. Got the foundation timbers down but it's too damn hot to do anything else. Haver to wait until after 4 pm

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here...........108 heat index.........91 actual......... We were working on our deck not any more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pondladypat

Latest Threads