JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok, ok... This may seem like a boring topic to many of you, since quite a few of you have more frogs than you can shake a stick at...but it made me happy and I thought I'd share!

I finally saw a frog by my pond! It was sitting on my concrete patio not two feet from the pond. I took a few photos, and then it jumped in. Its a younger Green Frog so maybe it'll make my pond its home, or maybe it'll be gone in the morning. Either way, its fantastic to finally see some wildlife (other than birds and a toad) by my pond, and it gives me hope that eventually some frogs will permanently move in.

Here are a couple of photos I snapped of it before I left it alone to make up its mind.

here it is on the patio where I originally found it.
DSCN2634 copy.jpg

After a couple of camera flashes in its face, it got annoyed and in a split second took three hops into my pond.
DSCN2638.jpg

Thanks for reading even though many of you may be thinking its no big deal! :cheerful:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, don't think like that! I know that I enjoy reading about other's ponds, and the critters are the BEST part!

I have a couple of resident frogs (spotted southern leopards) that moved in last summer. I've enjoyed watching them grow and change colors over the past year (started out brown -- one is getting copper highlights and the other is turning more green, plus the "green" one has grown more). So far, though, all my tadpoles have grown up to be toads, so guessing my SSL's are a same-sex couple.... They both look like males.

And those TOADS! These are Fowler's Toads. Boy, are they LOUD! Imagine a flock of gravel-voiced, slightly off-key sheep or goats! BWAAAAAAAW! BWAAAAAAAW! BWAAAAAAAAAAW! :)

My favorite is a little guy called a Cope's Gray Tree frog. Cute little frog that shows up in some odd places -- like attached to the support of the EZ-UP canopy that's covering my QT. Last spotted (or rather, felt him would be more appropriate) him when I was adjusting something and put my hand right on him. Didn't phase him and he even let me take pics (but they all came out blurry). His call sounds like a little lamb!

image.jpg
Can you spot Mr. Spotted Leopard Frog in the "turtle bog?"

Reaction score
Congratulations, "it's" a fine looking fellow, lets hope he sticks around.
I also have frogs in the pond, although mine are transplants from wild ponds. there is no chance of them finding their way into our pond on their own, since our pond is enclosed in a walled courtyard. No way in, no way out. (except by flying)
Our frogs are quite tame, we can even hand feed them and pet some of them, they are a really nice addition to the pondscape.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
congrats! froggy dad! Glad one found you. I love having them around, even the toads, they keep the bug population under control very nicely.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was pretty cool, though it did disappear, I have hopes that more will eventually be drawn in and stick around

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They'll come back, and before long you'll be yelling at them to SHUT UP, ALREADY! Just kidding, but chances are you will see more "nature" the longer your pond is there. It's fun, isn't it? Next, try looking for as many different types of spiders as you can. They're there...

I hope for a balance, because the amphibious creatures will dine on the same creatures as my turtles [even though they are fed regularly, they still need to be able to forage], so don't want the frogs & toads getting all of it ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cool! Do any of you want to come over and take care of my "Frog Problem"? It seems like the Toads and Rain frogs Mate 1 a week and are almost too loud to bare as the decibels reach an screeching limit for me and the Bull Frogs just sit there and are quiet lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
Oh, don't think like that! I know that I enjoy reading about other's ponds, and the critters are the BEST part!

I have a couple of resident frogs (spotted southern leopards) that moved in last summer. I've enjoyed watching them grow and change colors over the past year (started out brown -- one is getting copper highlights and the other is turning more green, plus the "green" one has grown more). So far, though, all my tadpoles have grown up to be toads, so guessing my SSL's are a same-sex couple.... They both look like males.

And those TOADS! These are Fowler's Toads. Boy, are they LOUD! Imagine a flock of gravel-voiced, slightly off-key sheep or goats! BWAAAAAAAW! BWAAAAAAAW! BWAAAAAAAAAAW! :)

My favorite is a little guy called a Cope's Gray Tree frog. Cute little frog that shows up in some odd places -- like attached to the support of the EZ-UP canopy that's covering my QT. Last spotted (or rather, felt him would be more appropriate) him when I was adjusting something and put my hand right on him. Didn't phase him and he even let me take pics (but they all came out blurry). His call sounds like a little lamb!

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Can you spot Mr. Spotted Leopard Frog in the "turtle bog?"
Is that him in the upper left hand corner partially covered by green stem?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
They'll come back, and before long you'll be yelling at them to SHUT UP, ALREADY! Just kidding, but chances are you will see more "nature" the longer your pond is there. It's fun, isn't it? Next, try looking for as many different types of spiders as you can. They're there...
I've already been watching them! We've got one that comes to the same spot every night.
5m6v.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep those spiders are all around my pond too (guess they like water) and they thin out and put half of their legs forward and the other half behind them to try and mimic a stick! :spider:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
And really nice spider pic!

Thank you! The solar light lit it up nicely!

and my lil Green Frog was back tonight along with an american toad! I cant wait to see how many show up next year when my mini-prairie starts growing.

Reaction score
Yay! I like having the frogs around too, just not the huge ones. It seems I have a small turtle in the big pond too! I suspect a friend put him in there, just haven't seen them to ask, but he's cute :)
Only thing I don't have hanging around is Dragonflies. Anyone have suggestions as to how to get and keep them? :)

Ask a Question