ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm not going to deliberately try and breed my goldfish to my koi, I just keep both so its possible that I could end up with some. I know how interbreeding across the lines of species work. I just find the subjects interesting and would love to have some hybrids in addition to my koi and goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This year i had an orfe and tancho sarassa comet have babies in my 4 ft breeding tank. The babies are about two months old and doing well. It was an experiment i tried and to be honest i cant wait to see how they end up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This year i had an orfe and tancho sarassa comet have babies in my 4 ft breeding tank. The babies are about two months old and doing well. It was an experiment i tried and to be honest i cant wait to see how they end up.
Welcome to the forum Koifan83 where are you from in the UK my friend?
Yes I've heard of the Orfe crossed koi before now basically nearly anything out of the cyprinid family can be crossed with koi or goldfish .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hope some of the people who posted here are still around. I have some Hybrids, they are dark with highlights like yours( LibraKoi ). Mine are 3 this year, and I moved them to a seperate pond to see if they will breed. All are dark, but some look more like goldfish, and others more like Koi. most of the ones thst look more like koi have barbles. But only 1 small set. I read somewhere that koi are suposed to have 2 sets. I know who the parents of mine are. I only had 1 male breeding size fish at the time. He was a huge red and white long fin Goldfish. My only breeding size Female koi was a Yellow Metallic short fin. I saw eggs about 2 months ago. I'm going to clean out pond this weekend ans see if I have any little ones. I will take/post pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Photo' please Manyfish4me we just love them the more the merrier :D

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to see photo's of some nice looking hybrids. Sounds interesting and hope somebody here who has koi and goldfish will do some testing.
I have had hybrids before, I've notice I have babies in my pond today. T
20180627_084816.jpg
he male is a koi and female a white gold fish . Only 2 fish in my pond, I don't see a picture of the mother, she's good size, and pure white

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m k, how old do koi need to be to breed? I’ll try crossing koi with shubinkin to see what I get!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's only about one and half inches long, I have some in my pond up to 3 or 4 inches. I have not noticed any barbells so far. I had some with a fancy gold fish years ago, they didn't have any either. The father is the Koi orange, black and silver, mother a pure white goldfish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Hybrid koigold and @Christina Whitten Hello and welcome to both of you! This is an old thread, started about 6 years ago, so not sure if anyone is still following it. Sometimes it’s better if you start a new thread.

Why don’t both of you head over to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about yourselves and your ponds! We love hearing about and seeing pictures of ponds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Hybrid koigold and @Christina Whitten Hello and welcome to both of you! This is an old thread, started about 6 years ago, so not sure if anyone is still following it. Sometimes it’s better if you start a new thread.

Why don’t both of you head over to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about yourselves and your ponds! We love hearing about and seeing pictures of ponds!
Thanks still trying to figure it all out

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I have 1 Black Velvet koi met about 8 to 10 in. She's beautiful. Just showed up in the pond one year I think it was the only one that made it. Goldfish always eat the eggs. I did get 8 babies koi goldfish mix last spring move them to the Frog Pond which is only a hundred gallon some r butterfly fish some comets some have gold flecks and yellow coming through on their heads which makes sense because the only koi I have is a mostly white with orange black yellow head blue eyes and is a butterfly koi male. My question is will these colors change on these baby hybrids. Or do hybrids maintain the color they are born with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
From what I’ve read, most mixes are solid black and stay that color. But, as koi and shubinkin take years for their colors to fully develop, if you got colored babies, I imagine their colors will change too.

Ask a Question