a look inside my fry pond

Reaction score
Hi Koiguy:

Sounds like we're kindred spirits. I also do it as part of the hobby. I don't know, really, how much selling them off sets the cost of water changes and feedings. Kind of like growing you're own veggies. After the time spent and water bills, probably easier just to buy them at the store. It's what I enjoy.

I have found the same thing this year, regarding the green water. Mine are two months old and still so small and won't come to the top to eat. They just want to graze on the wall. So I put a bale of barley straw, killed the algae fuss and now they have to eat the food. I think they are doing better.

The first two years I just had orgy spawnings and it's harder to cull them for me and I think you get nicer quality pond fish when you specifically spawn them. Cleaner looking, more distinct. But for me anything goes, I just like to raise them. This year was a fiasco.
I tried Doistu first, the Kujaku but the Showa showed me up.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mine are surface feeding on ground brine shrimp flakes... will be on the cubes shortly. and hand feeding soon after. using zeolite greatly reduces the need for water changes... it absorbs ammonias and is easily rejuvenated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have always used laboratory grade or aquarium grade zeolite.. but i found out here on this forum that there is a cheaper version..a couple people use it. its PDZ horse stall freshener. $8..99 for a 25lb bag, at TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY. its clay kind of like kitty litter. zeolite does one thing and does it real well. it absorbs ammonia. if it works as well as the lab stuff you could technically replace a biofilter with it. when it gets full of ammonia you soak it in a strong salt water solution for 24 hours and its ready to go again. ive never used the PDZ.. I'LL ask about it here to see how their using it...i'll let you know.

Ask a Question