Above Ground Pond ( not mine this time! )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your looking at approximately 376 gallon if filled to the brim. X 8 pounds per gallon and your looking at a total weight of 3000 pounds your 2x4 frame would be sufficient. To hold this amount of water. Things to note both ends of you wall overlap the side walls. This is your weak link. As far as using 3 tech deck screws is no problem but what I would do is to also apply a polyurethane glue to each joint as your screwing each stud together. Then and this is where your strength will be is in a doble top and bottom plate. Where you overlap your joints . Follow the drawing below add your 3/4 pressure treated plywood and then I would also add a second layer not so much because it won't be strong enough NOW but for when it starts to rot you will more then double the life span
Screenshot_20210403-181320_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Install two 3 inch screws to every stud.from the plate into the end grain of each stud. Again applying gorilla glue before screwing.
On the ends that will have the full width on end you have two studs with what we refer to as a block between ( a 8 inch piece of 2x4 inbetween the studs at the top and the bottom screw three screws staggered on each side making a sandwich again apply your glue to everything but beware this glue expands three times what you put on and wear gloves it stains skin really well. The top and bottom plates you'll want to drive three screws into the over laped stud at a min and then stager your screws down the length of the stud every 8 inches. The frame will outlast the wood rotting . But like you were thinking 6x6 will last even longer possibly but is a challange in making it look nice as the pressure treated shrinks and twists. With your current design you can face the frame with cedar which will age gracefully and look like a million bucks.
Your bog is even easier as a 2x12 with staggered end joints and then a single plate on the top and bottom glue and screw . Those are what we call strong backs and will hold your 1x1x4 bog .

And I would support this bog in this manner below you can build individuale legs to keep it simple in this description 16 inch centers. Or can be a great place to hide your pump.
I for got to mention using a 2x6 on the bottom plate so you have a lip all tge way around for your plywood to sit on and again I'd use two layers as any wood around water covered with rubber will ALWAYS have condensation
under the rubber against the ply and yes I would also add fabric expecialy with pressure treated.
Good luck to you
Top frame.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Install two 3 inch screws to every stud.from the plate into the end grain of each stud. Again applying gorilla glue before screwing.
On the ends that will have the full width on end you have two studs with what we refer to as a block between ( a 8 inch piece of 2x4 inbetween the studs at the top and the bottom screw three screws staggered on each side making a sandwich again apply your glue to everything but beware this glue expands three times what you put on and wear gloves it stains skin really well. The top and bottom plates you'll want to drive three screws into the over laped stud at a min and then stager your screws down the length of the stud every 8 inches. The frame will outlast the wood rotting . But like you were thinking 6x6 will last even longer possibly but is a challange in making it look nice as the pressure treated shrinks and twists. With your current design you can face the frame with cedar which will age gracefully and look like a million bucks.
Your bog is even easier as a 2x12 with staggered end joints and then a single plate on the top and bottom glue and screw . Those are what we call strong backs and will hold your 1x1x4 bog .

And I would support this bog in this manner below you can build individuale legs to keep it simple in this description 16 inch centers. Or can be a great place to hide your pump.
I for got to mention using a 2x6 on the bottom plate so you have a lip all tge way around for your plywood to sit on and again I'd use two layers as any wood around water covered with rubber will ALWAYS have condensation
under the rubber against the ply and yes I would also add fabric expecialy with pressure treated.
Good luck to you View attachment 137557
Thanks for the advice! I think I will go with the 6x6s as the construction seems like it will be a lot easier, however for the bog I will deffinitly take into account what you mentioned :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
6x6 timbers and using lag bots is not going to be as easy as you may think.

I strongly suggest pre drilling a hole and using bar of soap rubbing it on the lag bolt before trying to drive it. You will also need to counter sink the heads of the washer and head of the bolt. It is trickier to work with 6x6 and if they are not square and straight then keep looking elsewhere. Not to mention cutting them is tricky as no blade will do it in one cut. The 2x4 are easier but will require the frame to be finished .

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Update, got the 6x6 frame dry fitted, have decided just to go with a few pieces of rebar in each corner and surrounding area to get everything secured, however I won’t do that till the final installation, as for this design I will have to take at least the main pond apart to move it.

I have to figure out what I want to build the bog out of, I am either thinking 4x4s or just going with a 2x4 frame for that part.

C6BE79AC-F4B6-42EA-AC76-127E15159CF9.jpeg

deffinitly a bit overkill, and I see why people use 4x4s instead but it should be sturdy once the rebar is in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice stock
Cuts look nice, well done, I know many an adult that could not have done that.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Nice stock
Cuts look nice, well done, I know many an adult that could not have done that.
It did take 3 cuts per board on the chop saw, but in the end it was gonna end up with nicer cuts, and be a whole lot less dangerous than a circular saw so I say it was worth it :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trust me I know what it takes to get it to the point your at.
As fas as the bog is concerned I would do the 2x12 with the strong backs very simple very easy way more strength then needed.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Trust me I know what it takes to get it to the point your at.
As fas as the bog is concerned I would do the 2x12 with the strong backs very simple very easy way more strength then needed.
That actually sounds like a great idea, sounds like I will be going with those!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Okay, haven’t been here in a while and this pond is taking forever, however I have got quite a bit done.

I got the main structure of the bog built using 2x10s, and did some trim boards along with initially fitting the liner.

I also got a new pump for my main pond which is double the size ( and more appropriate for that size pond ) so I am going to be using the previous one for this pond.

next steps are gonna be to plumb the bog, trim it out ( prolly 1x2s or 1x4s as to not take up to much space ) and then I am pretty much ready to take it over and set it up!

Its getting a little dark here so I can’t do pics rn but they will come Tommorow :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
got so behind on the pictures that I figured I would just give y’all the final build, yesterday and today I went over an assembled, grinded some rebar, globbed some silicone in one place to fix a leak, but here is the pretty version!

CCC3200D-F3E3-422C-BAAF-211E53DA124E.jpeg

first couple sets of boards, after this I figured out that I needed rebar in the corner to, but this is what it looked like at first.

EFA157C7-0A4A-4AE1-86D1-E76D9ABF9909.jpeg

S’more wall sets with all three rebar in each corner.

EAA5CE9F-6A06-47ED-9FD7-4F484099A868.jpeg

And finally the main structure put together with rebar grinded down.

and that was all for day one as it was raining for like half the day so we could only work periodically.

93E4D6A6-6054-48F2-AB3E-18B4399000A0.jpeg

First thing on day two was underlayment, I stapled the sides to the main structure so they would stay up, but the bottom kept pulling staples out when pressure was put on it so I decided not to puncture the liner.

8F319EA3-5431-4ADF-9487-3F26A6644A07.jpeg

Then liner, we tried to get as few folds as possible but as you can see I didn’t get it amazingly smooth by any means.

B4F44FB2-2072-481D-8EE4-CE0188566E23.jpeg

Although it looks like I skipped a couple steps, I was able to completely assemble the bog at my house, so we really just put trim down and set the bog in place.

13D5B76D-08F1-43F2-B691-045E379C43ED.jpeg

I then put large stones up to the top of the PVC insert in the bog as to keep it clog free ( as you can see I made sure to impliment plenty of clean out options as well, it is also worth noting that the holes in the pvc are on the bottom, because of the bulkhead and pvc fittings the insert sat a couple inches off the bottom, so I figured this would be a way to take advantage of that )

79AAD410-C766-403D-8E3D-6B347C9A7E20.jpeg

And after filling the rest of the bog with pea gravel, and making the water very murky here is the final product! If y’all’s have any questions ( cause I am sure I didn’t really cover everything from typing on my phone ) I can most likely answer them, additionally, I wasn’t planning on making a showcase for this but I do think it turned out really pretty well, I am going to do that, and post future updates ( plants, fish, and I am sure some very warped wood ) both here and there :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bravo young man better then most of the ponds we see here that are built by adults.

Ask a Question