Adding a shelf for plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
yes very easy , if u have extra linner as we see beside large rocks , just lift it up and dig 6 inch then connect the digging with the centre hole and water will come till the corner , if u dont have extra liner then just lift any corner and push some soil till u reach desired level thats it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tackled this project this weekend, and it went much smoother than I expected, at least as far as I can tell now. I did take some pics throughout to share:

This first one is where we started:

Step One was to mark on the liner where I wanted the shelf break to be. My water level was down a bit, and was actually right where I wanted my shelf level:

Clearing away the mulch and dirt to get access to the liner. I had forgotten that I left the old liner in place as an extra layer of protection:

From there, I cut in with the shovel for about an 8" shelf, that should be around 4" deep. I got in a hurry and forgot to take a pic before placing the lining back down. I was able to peel it back a bit just to show:

Finally, a final pic once the water had settled back down, and I had filled back in. I kicked a ton of muck in while I was working, so it took a while for the filter to do it's job. It's looking pretty good again, and just needs some clean up. I placed those two rocks to keep the liner down while I was filling.

Attachments

• 20170415_113136.jpg
    20170415_113136.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 466
  • 20170415_113708.jpg
    20170415_113708.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 20170415_114152.jpg
    20170415_114152.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 366
  • 20170415_120522.jpg
    20170415_120522.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 20170416_093557 (1).jpg
    20170416_093557 (1).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 533
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do have a couple of follow up questions. I'd like to find a vine type plant option that will crawl towards the water over the rocks and help cover some of the exposed liner. I'll also be place some plotted options in there in just the next couple of weeks, once the stocks arrive at the local water pond source. I think we might leave one large rock in there as an island, as my boy hopes to find a turtle visitor for this summer. Thanks again for the early feedback.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I tackled this project this weekend, and it went much smoother than I expected, at least as far as I can tell now. I did take some pics throughout to share:

This first one is where we started:

Step One was to mark on the liner where I wanted the shelf break to be. My water level was down a bit, and was actually right where I wanted my shelf level:

Clearing away the mulch and dirt to get access to the liner. I had forgotten that I left the old liner in place as an extra layer of protection:

From there, I cut in with the shovel for about an 8" shelf, that should be around 4" deep. I got in a hurry and forgot to take a pic before placing the lining back down. I was able to peel it back a bit just to show:

Finally, a final pic once the water had settled back down, and I had filled back in. I kicked a ton of muck in while I was working, so it took a while for the filter to do it's job. It's looking pretty good again, and just needs some clean up. I placed those two rocks to keep the liner down while I was filling.
great job , it can b improved if ur rocks are sliding in , u can make the shelf more flatter by removing the slope then add similer rocks inside the shelf and join the upper rock on top of it , it will hide all the liner which u see at the inner edge

SET

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Creeping Jenny might work. I just pull some out from between my path flagstones and stick it in any little crevice. Doesn't even have to have roots. Spreads rapidly!

Ask a Question