Advice needed on renovating fountain/pump please

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi all. We've recently reclaimed a pond from years of neglect and discovered there was a fountain under all the moss/rushes! Some more investigation uncovered a two external chambers for fitting a pump. So far so good but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing from here!

First of all, how does the plumbing go? I think the chamber on the right is connected directly to the pond - it is deeper and there is an intake in the wall nearest to the pond. Then there is the free-floating filter connected to the flexible, white hose that goes through to the left-hand chamber. I assume that is where I attach my pump? That pipe goes back through to the other chamber. Once in the right-hand chamber it has a rusted valve that seems to be stuck half open and then continues into the concrete and I am, once again, assuming that that pipe goes to the fountain. There is a mains socket in the wall of the left-hand chamber which, amazingly, has power.

I have a few questions!

1. Should the left-hand chamber actually by dry? It is perfectly believable that all the water in there is just from rainfall.

2. What is the name of the connector on the intake pipe for the pump? (the one in the left-hand chamber at the bottom of the picture) It looks like a quick-connect for a 1in hose but I don't seem to be able to find any of that diameter. I'm ok with siliconing on a pipe if need be but would rather have the correct piece :)

3. The water height in the righthand chamber is lower than the pond - does this imply that the intake pipe is blocked? I think it is probably under 6in of mud but haven't gotten into the pond yet and don't really want to because it isn't summer...

4. Where would you expect the intake pipe to enter the pond? Based on the effort made in making the external chambers etc. I believe it was a professionally done pond (albeit maybe 30yrs old)

5. What size pump do you think I would need to get a pretty display from the small fountain head in the middle of the pond?

6. What are the obvious questions I should be asking but haven't?!

Thank you for taking the time to read this far!

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 103

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to me it would better all redone so you know how it works .Patching everything may work for awhile but then you may have it all go wrong and the money you spent on the band aid fix will be wasted money .First is to know the size of the pond and the depth of the pond and do you want fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

My best guess would be the chambers were built to be the pump chamber and filter. What I would do, is when it is warmer, stick a garden hose in the one pipe see where water comes out.

Try to see if the piping is not broken. If it is a pump chamber water must be able to flow out at a good rate if you are pumping water in from the pond. See what you can figure out before you buy pumps etc. It is a neat looking set up. I can see the two chambers being a real nice plant filter for your pond.

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Thanks. I poked about a bit and the levels have equalised between the pond and filter chamber. Will do as you suggest once these storms have passed...pond was frozen this morning...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't bother with trying to figure out what was what as any 30 year old design is going to need expensive pool filters that are a lot of maintenance and cost. I would line the two "filter" areas and turn them into bogs this will require very little but i would build up the sides a bit more so you can be assured the bog doesn't backup and over flow the sides. have the liner from the bog run down into the pond and you can create a waterfall or a stream down to the pond. who wouldn't want that . heres a link to some impressive pond builds to give you some ideas of what can be done today

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would line the two "filter" areas and turn them into bogs this will require very little but i would build up the sides a bit more so you can be assured the bog doesn't backup and over flow the sides.
Totally love my bog filter.

Ask a Question