Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Sell test kits instead!
Educate customers about the nitrogen cycle!:bucktooth:
There has to be more profit in test kits than fish.

I saw a figure somewhere (over on Koiphen, actually) that 60% of koi deaths are due to fish not surviving the nitrogen cycle.
Even if the number is half of that, it's a sad situation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess i have been lucky and always hope that other ponders have the same luck with there ponds

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have the most severe winter than anyone else that posts here, and my pond breathers had a slight film on them, but nothing that I considered unusual.
How thick was the muck on the breather intakes? I would examine that first in case there is something else going on in your pond during the winter. Maybe the breathers were in too shallow of an area. I really don't think adding "cold water bacteria" is a good idea. There's no good reason for using that stuff, whatever it is.

You know your pond best, but I wouldn't consider an air pump to be as reliable as pond breathers in cold weather. Once an air line freezes up, it's no good until spring thaw. My breathers would form a bit of ice inside the tube when it got down to -40, but would thaw out again as the temperature warmed up, usually a few days later.

Did you forget me in Edmonton, much colder!!!!!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I was under the impression that the all the bacteria that colonized my pond during water temps of 50+ degrees die when the water goes below 50. Well good to know. Ill save some money this winter because the stuff wasnt cheap
I was told this as well. Regular pond bacteria dies below 45F. Now I'm told there is a new strain of cold water bacteria that you can add. I wonder how good?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No I didn't forget..did you get down to -40 with a -52 windchill?:p
I had ice longer than you did, so....

Jersey_Marine got banned, btw. Don't waste your money on cold water bacteria.

Did you get a new house?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No new house yet. Ok you are colder. Are you sure on the cold water bacteria? I heard a new strain is developed for almost freezing water and they live at 35F, called microlift or something.

Doesn't show as banned?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have never seen proof that our ponds are lacking in any bacteria.
I have also never seen any proof that "bacteria in a bottle" products actually contain live bacteria.
Regular nitrifying bacteria will become dormant at temperatures below 39f, but not die.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ok dormant at 39F means they don't help towards reducing ammonia then.

Either way, I think I will add filters with bacteria/media and see if the ammonia problem is corrected. IF not then it is/has been correct, bacteria do squat in cold water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok dormant at 39F means they don't help towards reducing ammonia then.

Either way, I think I will add filters with bacteria/media and see if the ammonia problem is corrected. IF not then it is/has been correct, bacteria do squat in cold water.
Setting aside temporarily whether or not Nitrifying bacteria function at temps below 39F, Archaea do.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't care what kind they are just that they will reduce ammonia levels down to 39F or not and survive 5 months. Most people say no, you say yes.

I'm about to lay out some cash for another filter. SO if this info is true or bogus and in theory only and does not happen in the real world I need to know.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't care what kind they are just that they will reduce ammonia levels down to 39F or not and survive 5 months. Most people say no, you say yes.

I'm about to lay out some cash for another filter. SO if this info is true or bogus and in theory only and does not happen in the real world I need to know.
Fish survive the Winter in the natural lakes and ponds in your area of Canada, do they not? This should tell you that some level of Ammonia oxidation is occurring. With adequate bio-filtration, flow rate and aeration your fish should survive. I would spread the fish out into as many separate tanks as possible to minimize fish load..This is what you will really be battling.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
They survived in 3 tubs last winter with only 4 small goldies dead. I will give it a try as per our discussions over various threads.

Data to be delivered on progress.

Thanks

Wayne

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well last fall I have been talking about this bacteria concern in very cold water and no one said yes they will live until reading again this fall.

Ask a Question