Aerators for winter in the south - should I turn them off or leave on?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey Everyone! I've been busy but have enjoyed reading all the posts. So glad to see that @YShahar is still doing well and that all the usual folks are having a good winter!
I'm down here in the metro Atlanta area. We are expecting some cold temps in the weeks ahead, but not like northern cold. We will have some lows in the teens and highs in the 30s. Lots of swings back and forth. We never keep those temps for very long. I'm going to keep my bog and waterfall going. What about the aerators? I have them in the deepest part of the pond for circulation -- AND in the absence of water lilies for cover, the moving water makes it harder for predators to see the fish.
Can I leave the aerators on or will they be a problem?
Thanks!
(Side note - the scarecrow sprinkler was doing a good job of keeping the deer away, but I had to turn off and drain for the winter. Guess who is back and enjoying pond salad?)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even though your not looking at prolonged cold. you should raise your aerator up to the shallows. having them at the bottom of the pond will disturb the warmest waters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Even though your not looking at prolonged cold. you should raise your aerator up to the shallows. having them at the bottom of the pond will disturb the warmest waters.
Thank you!!!

Ask a Question