Aereator for Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I need an aerator for winter but there are so many to choose from I'm at a loss! My pond is 20 feet long by 8 feet wide. It gradually gets to 4 feet deep. It's a total of 2,100 gallons with 7 fish. Any idea what size aereator I need to get for winter months? Long stones? Round stones? There are SO many options!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started out with aquarium type stones and pumps; worked for a while. I would now get something that is a membrane type as they are easier to clean and reuse. The typical 'stone' type clog and you need to replace all the time. Also, I'd suggest getting sinking air line as it'll make the 'diffuser' part stay more easily under the water. For winter, it's recommended you DON'T place your air diffuser near the bottom but instead, 12" or so below the surface.

While you CAN keep a hole open during the winter this way, I've gone to a pond breather as it is more trustworthy. If (like me) your air line freezes up, that hole will too. Or the pump dies, same results. As a backup, I have a cattle trough heater to melt a hole, just in case. But so far, the pond breather has worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

btw, you're using the aerator to keep a hole open, NOT to provide oxygen. Oxygenation takes place at the SURFACE, not as the bubbles rise from the stone. It's the turbulence caused where the air exchange takes place. Plus, in the winter, cold water holds a lot more oxygen than warmer summer water. Couple this with your fish needing much less due to their slowed metabolism, providing oxygen usually isn't an issue. You're mainly trying to keep a hole open for gas exchange; the decaying organic matter in your pond will continue to decay and use up oxygen the fish need. Also, if you can keep your pond uncovered re snow, to allow light to penetrate, the algae will continue to grow and put out supplemental oxygen as well.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would now get something that is a membrane type as they are easier to clean and reuse

@brokensword - I've never seen anything like this. Can you share an example? We're in the market for a new aerator and I'd love to get something that is better than what we currently have. Completely agree on the weighted lines, plus they need to make them with clips to hold the airstone on the line. My fish swim under the floating line and dislodge the air stones constantly. And the more times you put them back on the line the more stretched out the line gets so the looser the connection. Very frustrating. The manufacturer suggests cutting the line back when that happens - well, that will work for only so long until I have no line left!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@AngelaM Are you wanting the aerator to supply oxygen or to keep a hole open in case of ice? If it's for the latter, then all you need is something like the Pond Breather (see pic below). During colder weather, though fish don't actually hibernate, all of their biological functions slow down which means that their oxygen needs are decreased. So, in colder climates, all an aerator is going to accomplish is to mix any "warmer" water (closest to the bottom where the fish will likely be) with the "colder" water closest to the top -- in theory. Most of our ponds are too small and shallow for there to be that much of a difference n temps., but be that as it may.... So, another suggestion that was made is to suspend the airstone just below the surface (pool noodles and zip ties work well for for this).

POND BREATHER
IMG_0148.jpg

Now, your original question was a good one, as you can use the aerator during the rest of the year. I have a Pondmaster, but don't recall what size it is. It's been going strong for 4+ years. I just use aquarium airstones -- the round ones seem to put out better. They tell you what the output is and I guess there is a formula somewhere that tells you how much air a certain vol of water would need. And they have to be covered and not exposed directly to the elements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would now get something that is a membrane type as they are easier to clean and reuse.

Michael

So what wording would I use to do a search online for one of these? I definetely don't want to go with air stones now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
you can make one for cheap with a small pump

Attachments

• 20170918_123807.jpg
    20170918_123807.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So what wording would I use to do a search online for one of these? I definetely don't want to go with air stones now.

Angel,
some links;

http://pentairaes.com/epdm-membrane-air-diffuser.html
http://www.graystonecreations.com/E...EPDM-Rubber-Membrane-6-Long-12-MPT_p_917.html
http://easypropondproducts.com/rubber-membrane-air-diffuser-24-3-4-mpt-inlet.html

Also; you can use hose clamps to keep the larger, weighted tube from coming loose but I bet if you go with the weighted, you'll not need the clamps as this type of hose snugs tighter to the diffuser stem.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Angel,
some links;

http://pentairaes.com/epdm-membrane-air-diffuser.html
http://www.graystonecreations.com/E...EPDM-Rubber-Membrane-6-Long-12-MPT_p_917.html
http://easypropondproducts.com/rubber-membrane-air-diffuser-24-3-4-mpt-inlet.html

Also; you can use hose clamps to keep the larger, weighted tube from coming loose but I bet if you go with the weighted, you'll not need the clamps as this type of hose snugs tighter to the diffuser stem.

Michael

why towards me? I offered a cheap option cost me under $10 to make. had the pump and hose anyways.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
@brokensword - I've never seen anything like this. Can you share an example? We're in the market for a new aerator and I'd love to get something that is better than what we currently have. Completely agree on the weighted lines, plus they need to make them with clips to hold the airstone on the line. My fish swim under the floating line and dislodge the air stones constantly. And the more times you put them back on the line the more stretched out the line gets so the looser the connection. Very frustrating. The manufacturer suggests cutting the line back when that happens - well, that will work for only so long until I have no line left!
@Lisak1 I am using an aerator with a membrane this year in addition to the pond breather, here is what I bought https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/air-pump-heated-air-for-winter.22001/
Tula suggested what sounds like a better membrane diffuser but not available here in Canada. She posted a link in the thread link I posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
why towards me? I offered a cheap option cost me under $10 to make. had the pump and hose anyways.
sorry Angel, my bad. Thought it was you asking. I need to direct the response back towards LisaK. My apologies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Lisa; I messed my response and aimed it toward Angel. Look at the links in my above #9 post.

Michael

Ask a Question