After clearing out the Iris'

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
After the arduous job of clear out the zillion iris bulbs and planting media to my amazement a maze of eight Cypress tree knots and masses of roots and fingerling roots were discover. For a number of years I have consulted with the Louisiana Forestry Department regarding the impact of these roots on my pond liner. To my delight these many roots will never attempt to grown through the liner. Their objective is to feed water to the two Cypress trees. We want to move the big stone pictured in the inlet further back so once again I am talking to the La Forestry agents to determine which roots I can clear out with out harming the trees or knots. Since this is such a rather different pond project I thought you might like to view the photos just sent to the kind folks in Baton Rouge. Various stone pieces are being used to prevent ground erosion while many others are just laying about util the work is completed.

I do have a question. If the situation requires me to cover up the root system or even fill in the area around the stone I intend to allow the pond water to infiltrate the cove. My question to you is what would be the ideal media to use? Heavy soil causes such a problem in the long run so I hoping there is a better more user friendly media. Thanks for your help.

Enjoy!

0161.jpg
0041.jpg
0021.jpg
0091.jpg
0101.jpg

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So the roots are growing right over your liner and into a little cove area of your pond? That's actually really cool. As long as they don't damage the pond that is. I bet they help a little with filtration too. I don't have any advice on media, sorry.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just guessing but wonder if gravel would work? Although wondering if you put any media in there if it will turn yucky after a while. Sorry I'm no help but it sure is neat looking seeing how those roots found that water. There is a type of media for fish tanks that plants love and it's called Flourite http://www.seachem.com/Products/Gravel.html

Reaction score
That is pretty neat BigLou. I don't claim to know the best answer to your question but if it was my pond I would just leave it how it is. If your partnership with the Foresty people informs you it is best to cover the roots than I personally would use gravel. I wouldn't bother meeting with them though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is pretty neat BigLou. I don't claim to know the best answer to your question but if it was my pond I would just leave it how it is. If your partnership with the Foresty people informs you it is best to cover the roots than I personally would use gravel. I wouldn't bother meeting with them though.

My coordination with the Louisiana Forestry Department is all done via email.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just received great news from Baton Rouge.

"After reviewing the photos with a co-worker…We do not think it is any problem at all to remove the entire root system from the pond. If you would like to keep the knots for the aesthetic beauty, them by all means. But the main point is that you can remove as much as you would like because there are plenty of roots under the surrounding ground. The tree should never even show any signs of distress........."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Big Lou, That's really interesting. Glad that you have some flexibility if you ever need to change the liner and eliminate the roots. I have a few questions. Do you think the roots affect your water levels at all? and do you find a lot of babies because of the protection they get from the roots?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Still dealing with this cove area. New questions.

If I do fill it with gravel which size would be best?

Is there any way to keep muck from forming given the water level is only one to three inches?

We do not want to repeat the iris debacle so I need recommendations for attractive, low growing, perninal plants.

Reaction score
After the arduous job of clear out the zillion iris bulbs and planting media to my amazement a maze of eight Cypress tree knots and masses of roots and fingerling roots were discover. For a number of years I have consulted with the Louisiana Forestry Department regarding the impact of these roots on my pond liner. To my delight these many roots will never attempt to grown through the liner. Their objective is to feed water to the two Cypress trees. We want to move the big stone pictured in the inlet further back so once again I am talking to the La Forestry agents to determine which roots I can clear out with out harming the trees or knots. Since this is such a rather different pond project I thought you might like to view the photos just sent to the kind folks in Baton Rouge. Various stone pieces are being used to prevent ground erosion while many others are just laying about util the work is completed.

I do have a question. If the situation requires me to cover up the root system or even fill in the area around the stone I intend to allow the pond water to infiltrate the cove. My question to you is what would be the ideal media to use? Heavy soil causes such a problem in the long run so I hoping there is a better more user friendly media. Thanks for your help.

Enjoy!

View attachment 74024 View attachment 74025 View attachment 74026 View attachment 74027 View attachment 74028
I cut at least 4 different root areas in my pond dig. My tree was a maple that was 20 feet away and I can see all the huge root areas all around my yard from that darn tree! I think I just pruned it up a bit. I'd be concerned with the amount of water it takes from the pond. They do look interesting and scary to the liner at the same time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have not noticed a consisted water loss. Cutting the BIG roots shown could cause damage since they are so close to the tree. Just found that out which is contrary to what the Louisiana guys told me. Small feeder roots running into the main pond will be kept cut as much as possible. Have considered eliminating the cove but concerned about not damaging the portion of existing liner that would be needed to build the new section of pond wall. Comments welcome. All options still open.

Last edited:

Ask a Question