Again with the venturi tee....

gasman

What is the air speed of a swallow?
Reaction score
Need input on placement of venturi tee. What would be best; after pump but before mechanical filter? Or on return line from filter? My only concern is that if it installed last, the flow may not be strong enough for it to work properly.....I may just be over thinking this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A venturie should be placed at the end of the return pipe from the pond i;e where the water goes in your pond.
It must also be submerged with the bottom part of the Tee sticking just out of the water , so you have filter, then pump then UV-C the pond does this answer your question gasman :confused:

Dave

gasman

Reaction score
A venturie should be placed at the end of the return pipe from the pond i;e where the water goes in your pond.
It must also be submerged with the bottom part of the Tee sticking just out of the water , so you have filter, then pump then UV-C the pond does this answer your question gasman :confused:

Dave
Little more confused than b4. My pump is external so it pulls the pond water and pushes through the mech filter. Gravity returns water to pond. I have never seen a venturi fitting submerged.

gasman

Reaction score
That's what I envisioned. The end of the return is beneath the water. That is how I will run it. Only I am operating a 5200 gph external pump. The return is gravity fed so there should be enough flow. Thanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to run a venturi off gravity power. you need the pressure of the pump. you wont likely have much luck. more overflowing than venturi function. you see you need the pressure and flow speed to create the vacuum. the higher the pressure the more vacuum. the more vacuum, the more air drawn in. for a venture, the smaller the pipe, the more effective the venture. this is within reason, you don't want to restrict flow more than necessary. good luck with the project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I dont really like with them is there is something to damage your koi on with a venturie submerged as they are, should the fish panic and go barreling around the pond say if a preditor hiits the pond

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Dave...not necessarily. you can make venturied TPRs if you want. venturies do not need to be submerged. only the exit need be at or under the water surface. as long as the air intake tube is above the waterline.

Ask a Question