Algae all vanished at once. Theories?

Reaction score
This year my pond has had a heavy layer of what I will call carpet algae on the liner all year. I have also had what I will call string algae all over the tubes in the pond as well as a good amount of floating algae that I was netting out every day. Other than that the water is very clean and clear. I came home from work the other day and it is all gone. All of it. Just wondering if anyone has theories why? I have done NOTHING different with the pond recently although at the beginning of the year I did add two good size containers filled with gravel to use as filters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tad poles could have eaten it and filters are working plus fish love all the greens .YUMMY GOOD TO THEM :cheerful:

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas but believe me when I tell you there is no way it could have been eaten or filterd out. This pond is 8' x 9' by 5 feet deep and the entire liner was covered with an inch thick layer of carpet type algae. The string algae was easily a foot long coming off the tubes in some places and the amount of floating algae would compress down to baseball size every day after I squeezed all the water out of it. None of this could have been filtered out, as it was not free floating.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to add love your containers .I use lava rock in mine but you made like a mini bog and plants are sucking up nutrients .I have plants in my filters also .It works I never complain and sure not changing what works .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56880]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56883]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plants starve algae of nutrients that make it grow and your filters are working like mini bogs and it looks great so don't change a thing .i get lots of frogs and taddies and they can it there weight in muck and algae .Just smile and be proud you succeeded

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze and here I like yours better will you can add on and make another filter .I have changed mine 5 times in 9 years but kept my beloved lava rock filters .I just wish someone had told me about koi and how big they get ,mine are now over 2 feet long .I just built the new one this past spring and made
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57141]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53556]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53550]
it bigger plus I put liner under and up around my filters this way if they ever leak it runs right back in the pond

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Aliens LOVE the stuff! They land their spaceships in the dead of night, harvest the algae, and POOF! they're gone. :dunno: Hey, it makes as much sense as any other theory! :fingersx:
John

Ask a Question