Algae and Your Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nepen, I am having the same problem. Lots of tadpoles among the algae. Guess I will be waiting to net the algae out.
I've had toad and frogs lay eggs in my pond since April... non stop.... I hope I get a break sometimes soon :) Just so I can net the algae out with out wondering what type of frog eggs i scooped out.

Reaction score
Here is a video showing some of the dominant algae currently in my pond. Rock fuzz and wispy thread algae.
I like the looks of both but the wispy stuff breaks into tiny fragments easily when disturbed. So much so that when the fish get excited, spawning or feeding etc, they can really stir up the algae and cloud the water. The filters catch most of it, but it means cleaning the filters more often.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In historical situations I find a ton of pond plants and lily pads work best to control the algae. Less sun light helps. Also toss a couple snails in the pond to clean the bottom. Koi will also eat algae off the side of your walls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, a well planted pond can obliterate algae, and make a pond anemic of fertility, in just two weeks in the growing season. Then you can think about pepping up your favourite plants with targeted feeding, eg sticks, spikes, pellets, slow release, inserted under their positions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Fortunately I don't have koi, so I can utilize water lettuce, hyacinths, and frog bits.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fortunately I don't have koi, so I can utilize water lettuce, hyacinths, and frog bits.

Just wanted to say we have koi and also put hyacinths and frog it in our pond- they leave the hyacinths alone other than nibbling off the roots and the frog bit grows in the nooks and crannies that the big fish can't get their noses into.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Just wanted to say we have koi and also put hyacinths and frog it in our pond- they leave the hyacinths alone other than nibbling off the roots and the frog bit grows in the nooks and crannies that the big fish can't get their noses into.

Clearly your koi are well trained and well fed. Dont bring them to visit my fish. They will learn how to misbehave quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Clearly your koi are well trained and well fed. Dont bring them to visit my fish. They will learn how to misbehave quickly.

Ha! I've often wondered about learned behavior and fish - if you get one naughty one do the rest follow along? Mine don't really bother any if my plants, luckily for them. Otherwise they'd be in timeout!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think fish do learn bad behavior because my other fish follow aggie and bert (koi) and do exactly what they do .I have tried and tried with plants and so far only plants hanging off the side of the pond work .I can raise and lower them .I had the plant rings in and aggie would flip them over so she had access to them .

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You will never eliminate algae in full entirety. And you want some int he pond as it is healthy. It is unsightly but just needs to be controlled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
You will never eliminate algae in full entirety. And you want some int he pond as it is healthy. It is unsightly but just needs to be controlled.
I respect all of you that put the frogs above the appearance of your ponds for a few weeks. With all the pollution it seems in the natural waterways, frogs are more and more dependant on pond owners to care for the environment, even in a small way. Kudos guys! And pat yourselves on the back thats its as much about the future as it is about personal beauty. I bet you didnt see that coming when you first built your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ha!
The past few days the algae are starting to disappear. I still have tons of them (that I cant take them out due to the frog eggs) but they are getting less thick and not growing more.

I dont think my plants are growing more than the last week to make the different in the intake of the nutrient, but constant rain might help flushing out the nutrient.

I have flowering rush that's quite invasive and chocolate mint that's very invasive and grow so quick in my bog. I'm planning not to have floating plant this year but lots of lilies and lotus instead. I know they dont compare in nutrient uptake thought.

Ask a Question