Algae problems in small pond

Reaction score
What an interesting post. I absolutely had no idea that an owl would go after fish! Raccoons are much more common...we actually found one dead in our pond one morning and it was a preformed plastic one at the time....big price to pay for a small meal!

I concur with DrDave that patience might be the best thing...most new start ups go through this. Plants can definately help if a pond get's a lot of sun exposure. Do a bit of research on the Skippy filter too...it's a form of a bio-filter that can really work well with little up keep. This isn't a sure thing on dealing with algae or green water but it's not a bad idea to add some beneficial bacteria whenever you start a pond up again.

If you have a biofilter, this helps prime those up again and it's a good natural way...along with plants to get the job done. I've never been a big fan of algaefix or algaecide in generally since they really aren't working on the root of the problem.

Best wishes,
Mark

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Mark.
Owls are birds of prey so if your Koi are not covered they could be a problem.

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Dave.

I have actually worked with raptors quite a bit...mostly peregrine falcons and hawks...not any with owls. I know they are a versatile bird. They just have not been normally known to go after fish if mice and other mammals or birds are present...but you know, anything can happen when one is hungry.

You can't beat a good pond design with some protective features built in to keep fish safe no matter what the predator might be though...like everything we continue to live and learn.

Mark

jpendl10

Pond Guru
Reaction score
If your pond is green and murky from algea the best way to clear that up is beneficial bacteria. The best on the market is EC-504 from ecochem.com
Overall the best way to control algea is PH control. algea cant grow in a ph below 7.4
when algea get way out of contol is when you ph balance get way out of control like above 8 from waste from fish and debris. I have ponds that are kept at a perfect 7.4 ph and beneficial bacteria to take care of the waste from the fish and debris from surrounding trees. and you can see all the way to the bottome of the 8' pond without a spec of green or any algea.

Reaction score
Hi Jpendl,
Agreed...bacteria is the way if people only knew more about it. What makes EC504 different than some of the other bacteria on the market? Is it easy to get?

I see your from SLC...my wife is from American Fork. Hope your getting to build a lot of ponds out there with all the growth going on in your area.

Mark

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
jpendl10 said:
If your pond is green and murky from algea the best way to clear that up is beneficial bacteria. The best on the market is EC-504 from ecochem.com
Overall the best way to control algea is PH control. algea cant grow in a ph below 7.4
when algea get way out of contol is when you ph balance get way out of control like above 8 from waste from fish and debris. I have ponds that are kept at a perfect 7.4 ph and beneficial bacteria to take care of the waste from the fish and debris from surrounding trees. and you can see all the way to the bottome of the 8' pond without a spec of green or any algea.

Since I was 14 means nothing if we don't know how old are you now???

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mark said:
Thank you for the welcome Dave.

I have actually worked with raptors quite a bit...mostly peregrine falcons and hawks...not any with owls. I know they are a versatile bird. They just have not been normally known to go after fish if mice and other mammals or birds are present...but you know, anything can happen when one is hungry.

You can't beat a good pond design with some protective features built in to keep fish safe no matter what the predator might be though...like everything we continue to live and learn.

Mark

The big difference is one hunts by day and the others hunt by night. I have raised both.

Reaction score
DrDave,
I guess that's why I liked flying Peregrines better...I could actually see them:)
Mark

jpendl10

Pond Guru
Reaction score
go to ecochem.com and read all about EC-504 it would take to long to type in all the reasons why it is the best.

oh and i am 26yrs of age

people are starting to build again. Iam in curently buildin my third water feature for this year

Reaction score
jpendl,

Glad things are getting better out there. I checked out your uploaded pics...was the Heber pond one of your projects? Or better yet if you live there, I'm adoptable:) My wife wants to buy that place "right now"...I need to go rob a bank first.

Mark

jpendl10

Pond Guru
Reaction score
yea our company built that along time ago like 15 yrs ago i think maybe more. Jonny miller the golfer actually owns it now.

Reaction score
jpendl,
Where did you get your facts on this? I have never hear that algae doesn't grow if you ph is at 7.4
I keep my pond at around 7 and I get algae.

jpendl10

Pond Guru
Reaction score
i didnt say you wouldnt get algea. low ph is a hinderance so it wont get out of control. if your ph is constantly low and your still getting algea blooms then you have alot of nitrates in the water that are feeding the algea that you need to get rid of. i would suggest beneficial bacteria (EC-504) from ecochem.com

Reaction score
jpendl10 said:
yea our company built that along time ago like 15 yrs ago i think maybe more. Jonny miller the golfer actually owns it now.

Well it looks great...guess I better rob TWO banks at this point:)

Ask a Question