Algea bug finally got me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
As the others said, more plants. Get thee to a water garden/pond store or research on the internet. There are plenty of places that sell pond plants. Also, I would remove all the rocks from the pond, including the gravel bottom. If you want to keep a few large ones, then space them out. I always had an algae mess and it finally exploded 2 years ago. Had to remove all the gravel and rocks because that's where all the bacteria reside and it never got completely cleaned. It definitely makes a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As the others said, more plants. Get thee to a water garden/pond store or research on the internet. There are plenty of places that sell pond plants. Also, I would remove all the rocks from the pond, including the gravel bottom. If you want to keep a few large ones, then space them out. I always had an algae mess and it finally exploded 2 years ago. Had to remove all the gravel and rocks because that's where all the bacteria reside and it never got completely cleaned. It definitely makes a difference.
In my experience, having rocks in the pond and gravel on the bottom does not contribute to an algae problem. The bacteria that resides in the gravel is actually the *good* bacteria that helps break down waste & debris that can contribute to an algae bloom. I know experiences vary, but an algae problem is not going to be rectified by simply removing rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In my experience, having rocks in the pond and gravel on the bottom does not contribute to an algae problem. The bacteria that resides in the gravel is actually the *good* bacteria that helps break down waste & debris that can contribute to an algae bloom. I know experiences vary, but an algae problem is not going to be rectified by simply removing rocks.

I'm with @BKHpondcritters on this one - rocks and gravel are beneficial in the pond for helping to keep things balanced. But hey, that's almost as hot a topic as asking "who you gonna vote for?" so we just let everyone do what they prefer on that one. Just know that there are DEFINITELY two opposing opinions on the topic of rocks and gravel in a garden pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok i think im going to keep the gravel in the bottom then. the gravel isnt actually covering the whole bottom there is a bit in the deepest part of the pond and there is also some by the water fall. i think the fish like the gravel because some of them blend into it quite well. also i think in the spring it will grow some alage wich is a good thing in my opinion because the tadpoles who will be bred into our pond will be able to feast upon that. also a little off topic but goldfish wont hurt the tadpoles or frog spawn right. we made the pond thinking what would be best for a frog not knowing we would get fish. i might need to put the goldfish in a kiddie pool for the early spring to mid june because they would harm the tadpoles and thats when all the frogs with small tadpoles are breeding. green frogs bred in early june so by the middle of june the tadpoles from the frogs will definitly be big enough for the fish to live with them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
ok i think im going to keep the gravel in the bottom then. the gravel isnt actually covering the whole bottom there is a bit in the deepest part of the pond and there is also some by the water fall. i think the fish like the gravel because some of them blend into it quite well. also i think in the spring it will grow some alage wich is a good thing in my opinion because the tadpoles who will be bred into our pond will be able to feast upon that. also a little off topic but goldfish wont hurt the tadpoles or frog spawn right. we made the pond thinking what would be best for a frog not knowing we would get fish. i might need to put the goldfish in a kiddie pool for the early spring to mid june because they would harm the tadpoles and thats when all the frogs with small tadpoles are breeding. green frogs bred in early june so by the middle of june the tadpoles from the frogs will definitly be big enough for the fish to live with them
I have goldfish and tons of tadpoles. Never saw a fish eat a tadpole - but I'm not a fish expert so I can't really say for sure. They seem to live in peaceful co-existence. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
it will do both....You want plants that spread/grow quickly. Water cress, forgetmenot,water celery, creeping Jenny, parrot feather.All these can be wedged between rocks at the ponds edge and will take off from there. Iris, pickerel rush, Canna, taros all are good as well once they get going.
Water hyacinth is phenomenal as well. It's an annual for me - not sure where you live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have goldfish and tons of tadpoles. Never saw a fish eat a tadpole - but I'm not a fish expert so I can't really say for sure. They seem to live in peaceful co-existence. :)
I had literally millions of tadpoles this year and a lot of them disappeared. I believe the fish feasted on them because there were still some hanging around about the same size, but many were gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I didn't say it was the only answer. I said it was probably a contributing factor. A bubbler would also help to increase oxygenation that the algae consumes. Too much sunlight is also a factor and plants will help shade the water. More plants for sure. You need a balance. My experience in 14 years with a 2,000 gallon water garden is that a gravel bottom was a disaster. It was only "beneficial" for a while then it became a haven for mud. I'd been having problems for a while and then it all finally exploded. You should have seen the muck we cleaned out! blek!!! I wouldn't want to be a fish in my pond. No more gravel for me and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone installing a pond. But Lisak1, you're right! It's like this election...you're either on one side or the other and each side is passionate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't say it was the only answer. I said it was probably a contributing factor. A bubbler would also help to increase oxygenation that the algae consumes. Too much sunlight is also a factor and plants will help shade the water. More plants for sure. You need a balance. My experience in 14 years with a 2,000 gallon water garden is that a gravel bottom was a disaster. It was only "beneficial" for a while then it became a haven for mud. I'd been having problems for a while and then it all finally exploded. You should have seen the muck we cleaned out! blek!!! I wouldn't want to be a fish in my pond. No more gravel for me and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone installing a pond. But Lisak1, you're right! It's like this election...you're either on one side or the other and each side is passionate!
I absolutely agree with needing a balance! I just find it so funny that there are people, such as yourself, who have had such negative experiences with a gravel covered pond bottom. In the 18 years I've had ponds (one pond back in IL, and this one in NC) I've never experienced an excessive build up of 'muck' on my gravel. It's not like I do anything special to it. My fish do really like to root around in the gravel, though, so perhaps they either eat what's there before it can accumulate, or they stir it up enough that the filters take care of it. ???? I dunno. But I was just in there the other day, picking up fists full of gravel & tossing it back up on the shelves where the fish had 'rearranged'. No gunk, just piles of gravel.
Anyway - welcome to the forum! Best thing about ponds & gardens is that they only have to please the person who owns them! Wouldn't it be boring if they were all the same? :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think one secret to a gravel bottom pond is VERY LITTLE GRAVEL. Just enough to cover the liner in a shallow layer. I've seen people dump tons of gravel in their ponds - that's going to be bad. When I get in my pond, I can swish the gravel with my feet and uncover the liner easily. Swish it one way, swish it back. And there's never more than a small bit of debris that gets stirred up. Just a very fine sediment really.

Another secret is a pond with a good current. If your water has good movement it's harder for things to settle in the bottom. Everything gets swept out by the moving water before it sinks.

Our fish move gravel CONSTANTLY. When I get in the pond I always have to stick my foot into the cave and pull the gravel back out of both ends. Same on the shelves. Constant rearranging goes on in there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I think one secret to a gravel bottom pond is VERY LITTLE GRAVEL. Just enough to cover the liner in a shallow layer. I've seen people dump tons of gravel in their ponds - that's going to be bad. When I get in my pond, I can swish the gravel with my feet and uncover the liner easily. Swish it one way, swish it back. And there's never more than a small bit of debris that gets stirred up. Just a very fine sediment really.

Another secret is a pond with a good current. If your water has good movement it's harder for things to settle in the bottom. Everything gets swept out by the moving water before it sinks.

Our fish move gravel CONSTANTLY. When I get in the pond I always have to stick my foot into the cave and pull the gravel back out of both ends. Same on the shelves. Constant rearranging goes on in there!
You may be onto something with the thin layer. We had a pile in the bottom and it never moved. I must have lazy fish! All the fish waste and debris was left to decay. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Ask a Question