all in one filter, skimmer, etc.?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey guys! I ordered some wonderful pond building books! Can't wait to devour them!

Here's my question.... Since my pond will just be small, I'm trying to be efficient and frugal if possible. I want to have a waterfall that goes to a 3 foot stream, then into a 4 x 6 pond with a few little goldfish. Nothing fancy. Just cute and charming. I have seen many, many different pieces of equipment. Weirs, filters, skimmers, etc. I am wondering if given the size of my pond, I should combine at least 2 of these pieces into one. A filter/skimmer? Or waterfall with filter? What are your thoughts and do any of you use these? Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
1) Don't buy any commercial filters. They are all either useless or a waste of money and you can build a much better one.
2) I've sworn off skimmers because they always ate my fish and if you have a built in skimmer, it will be hard to remove it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
correct easier and cheaper to build your own .Cheap way is a tote and lava rock .I double up totes and tank adapter is needed.May not work for every one but sure works for me

Attachments

• pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 261
  • pond parts 011.JPG
    pond parts 011.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 235
  • pond parts 015.JPG
    pond parts 015.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 287
  • pond parts 013.JPG
    pond parts 013.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 282
  • pond parts 014.JPG
    pond parts 014.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 246
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One thing I am concerned about with a homemade filter is my very small space. I want all the mechanical stuff to be totally hidden, and I don't have much room at all. I'm all for the saving money part, that's for sure!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep totes come in all sizes .i think that is why you see so many on you tube .Gosh make it pretty get a pretty pot that is fiberglass and put another pot of flowers on top of it all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I guess I will have to watch some tutorials and see how this is done. I am TOTALLY new to this whole world of ponding. Is that what everyone is talking about when I see the word "skippy" filter? I'm glad to know this is a do-able option!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
skippys have a pipe in the middle with a swirl action in the bottom but my tanks all my water runs down through the filter media and then goes up the pipe and out through the tank adapter .Reason for mine that why is that I like to grow plants in my filters to help clean the water

Attachments

• pond june 27th 2013 039.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 292
  • pond june 27th 2013 041.JPG
    pond june 27th 2013 041.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 240

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I guess I will have to watch some tutorials and see how this is done. I am TOTALLY new to this whole world of ponding. Is that what everyone is talking about when I see the word "skippy" filter? I'm glad to know this is a do-able option!
Skippy is a kind of outdated and inefficient filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I could not get it to work the way it should so I did it my own way

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have friends in low places :) and not many in high places .Well except for 1 judge in NJ Emil Philabosian

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1)
2) I've sworn off skimmers because they always ate my fish and if you have a built in skimmer, it will be hard to remove it.

I have a built in one, put a ball valve in the line to be able to control the flow into it. Totally shut down to wide open when the maple spinners are dropping.
So far it has never ate a fish, but the frogs sure love to get into it. It works great helping keep the pond surface free of the spinners, flowers, leaves dropping.

Ask a Question