All my fish but one have dissappeared. Need advice for defenses immediatly!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
UPDATE:

So I managed to get off early and purchased new fish. I've placed the winter cover over them now which is this:

Picture008-1.jpg

If that doesn't keep them out I don't know what will.

For a lower profile form of protection, I'm thinking about barbed wire wrapped around the rocks especially the waterfall rocks with netting everywhere else along with some fishing line attached to some bells.

I'm also going to add a motion sensor camera to see if I can capture whatever predators are after the fish.

I will also add some large PVC pipe covered with a rock for added hiding for the fish.

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions and keep them coming!

As far as what ate them I do have a question about herons. If one stood on the waterfall rocks and it was 4-6 inches from the water below the rock they were standing on, could they really get in there and take the fish?

And it did not happen overnight as far as I know. Its been a week since I've been out there.

The only good news is Whitey, my only remaining fish seemed to perk up when he saw playmates! :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe if there was a gap it could get its neck in, they are pretty quick if they spot a fish.

rdk

Reaction score
Tie steel or plastic fencing to plastic pipe, place over the pond, then tie 1/2"square wire over that, Paint it all black with fish safe paint. No more problems. RDK

Reaction score
you want the fishing line close but not too close to snare the culprit, the idea is to scare him off , as i said noise or another predator (fake of course) will scare them off , so tie it to the line and when the line moves so does the noise maker or the fake critter , just an idea i picked up .. it seems to work

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
lenny jewell said:
you want the fishing line close but not too close to snare the culprit, the idea is to scare him off , as i said noise or another predator (fake of course) will scare them off , so tie it to the line and when the line moves so does the noise maker or the fake critter , just an idea i picked up .. it seems to work

Don't know by what you mean by a fake predator, But if your talking about a fake heron, Don't waste your money. I think they attract more than scare away. If you were local and wanted one I would give the one I have away for free. Biggest waste of $40 I have spent on predator protcetion for my pond! Oh and the fake owl isn't much better,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Update: So I went out today to check on the new fish. Granted they are very small and could be hiding but of the 7 I bought I only saw 3 and this with my huge protector on the pond. Now it could be they are hiding because its a new enviroment and the big guy did come to the surface to eat which is a first but I'm watching all the same.

I've also purchased one of those hunting motion cameras around the pond as well as the protection hoping to catch at night what I haven't seen during the day.

And of course I'm building a new more sturdy large protection which completely covers the pond as the one does now but made of wood and chicken wire instead of pvc pipe and netting.

And I'm also exploring an electric fence solution for a long term less eye straining look.

Will keep you posted.

Picture008-1.jpg

If whatever is getting them actually visited again last night I can only conclude it is a snake unless someone has a different opinion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will be interesting what your camera reveals. If it is a snake, how do you stop it from getting in? They can squeeze into most anything :cool:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Will be interesting what your camera reveals. If it is a snake, how do you stop it from getting in? They can squeeze into most anything :cool:

I know. thats my biggest fear.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well if you find out it's a snake and you put an electric wire around the top of the pond so it sits flush with the edge and a snake tries to cross over he would get the shock of his life. Do they make some kind of snake repellant?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Well if you find out it's a snake and you put an electric wire around the top of the pond so it sits flush with the edge and a snake tries to cross over he would get the shock of his life. Do they make some kind of snake repellant?

I would settle for the last shock of his life :cool:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:

Yes they do, jw , you can buy it at home depot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well there ya go Tex, addy says they have the snake remedy for ya if of course it's a snake or two. Sure must be one hungry snake to eat all those fish in such a short time :lol:
Maybe you have a whole herd of hungry snakes somewhere on your property..........snake pit :cool:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just got rid of a 3' banded water snake two days ago that I believe was feasting on some of my golds and frogs. My dog hunted him up in some rocks by my watrfall and then it tokk me about 10 minutes to catch and release him somewhere else. Good luck. If you lived by me I would bring my dog by she is a real hunter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I looked at the pictures from the motion camera last night. One one shot was taken around 1am but it was black. My big camera system does see the pond at night from a greater distance so I went to that time but saw nothing on the thermal scan so it must have been a fluke.

Went to building the new protection today and should have it complete by the end of the week if I can find the time.

Damn hot down here whew!

Ask a Question