An absolute beginner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Addie -- I've been doing some reading and research... so I am sort of familiar with the bog thingie. Am I correct in thinking that you use the little basin of bog plants as the filter, rather than a purchased filter? You use a good pump to move the water through the bog and out to a waterfall or little spillway? Is it then just maintained by mother nature? Do you have anything you have to change and clean in the bog filter? Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome bagsmoms. Funny how we all love rocks! Me too, I live in the country. Have collected all my rocks from surrounding fields.
The major expense as others have said is the liner and the pump. I made my own diy filter for my 3000 gal pond from info learned on this forum. Having a pond is a joy and an addiction!

Reaction score
Welcome bagsmom! I used rocks that were on my property on my waterfall. It was shale so it worked out perfect. I also ordered some river rock to use around the sides and bottom of the pond. I have since taken the rocks off the bottom of my pond, it only took one year to decided rocks on the bottom wasn't good for me since I have pine trees. This summer I will finish building one more shelve and extracting rocks that I don't need in the pond. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Funny but I collect rocks every where i go and every one is a treasure and a memory .Funny how those things can make you happy .You spot one you want and no matter what it is coming home with you .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addie -- I've been doing some reading and research... so I am sort of familiar with the bog thingie. Am I correct in thinking that you use the little basin of bog plants as the filter, rather than a purchased filter? You use a good pump to move the water through the bog and out to a waterfall or little spillway? Is it then just maintained by mother nature? Do you have anything you have to change and clean in the bog filter? Thanks! :)

Mine is not little, 26 feet by 4 feet or more. Full of plants, my pump pushes around 6000 gph, It turns the water over about every two hours. I do not clean the bog at all, I do have to, every now and then, purge plants. They grow really fast. I have no other filter but the bog. During the summer frogs live in it, birds bath in it, critters drink out of it.
My water fall is a 3 foot wide flat rock
My pond is around 27 foot long by 15-20 plus feet wide. The bog is around 1/4-1/3 the size of the pond. I have not bothered with real accurate measurements. There are 10 ponds in the system from tiny to the large one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh wow, Addy -- talk about Mother Nature! You have a wonderfully huge pond! Mine is going to be tiny. Like 4 feet by 6 feet.
Is there a thread or section on here for small ponds? I would guess that small ponds have entirely different issues. (Like with an aquarium, the bigger, the better, for a more self regulating, natural system.)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had small ponds filtered by small bogs, they did great too. The small bog, whiskey barrels, I had a way to back flush them. We are just lucky we have lots of land there for ponds, but all of our land is sloped and sloped a lot.

I don't think there is a specific small pond thread..............go ahead and start one in construction, others will chime in to help you

Ask a Question