...and then there were 10

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi,

I have 7 small (3 inch) goldfish in my small pond. Everyone is happy. Today, I saw three more goldfish, about 1/2 inch long. So were did the come from? I think my goldfish are too small to breed. Could the eggs have been attach to floating plants that I purchased 2 month ago? Do goldfish breed at 3 inches (size of the body)?

Kind of curious,

Rich

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I know koi have to be 10" before they will breed Rich but one of the goldfish owners are best placed to answer this one for you

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I know koi have to be 10" before they will breed Rich but one of the goldfish owners are best placed to answer this one for you

Dave
I never knew that about the 10 inches. My smaller female is in that range and spawned this spring. My bigger female had many more eggs though!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My goldfish were small the first year I had them nothing and then the next year lots of babies and they were about 4 inches long and koi were about the same size so i know it was not them that had babies

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some new shubunkins, all around 2 - 3 inches, they have done nothing but chase each other and I have seen some fry.

Ask a Question