Any advice on Top Fin food?

Gus

Reaction score
After reading recent post regarding dead fish after feeding them Top Fin fish food, I'm hesitant to feed them a new bag I just ppicked up at store.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never tried it. I use Tetra Pond and Wardley's for my goldies. Sounds like no one else here is using that food type. If you are unsure can you take the bag back and try another kind like some of the ones others are using here?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
top fin has been around a long time in the "aquarium" business...i'm fairly sure the pond deaths discussed in the other thread were an isolated incident. maybe tampered with. that is,... if at all the fault of the food.... you dont stay in business by killing customers pets. i will say i wasnt aware they made pond fish food tho...that may be a new product line. you might google and see if theres been any recalls listed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just googled it before I wrote my post and could only find the one complaint here about the food.

Gus

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help. Will continue researching for the best food for the $ since I my 12 koi have now gotten quite large and consume a fair amount of food.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
In my experience, and I have a lot when it comes to foods that petshops sell Tetra, Wardleys, Top fin, and most foods that are sold through petstores regularly are just decent foods at best. I used Tetra Koi sticks for many years. Although it is food specifically designed for ponds it's NOT that great of quality. If you were to take two indentical size fish, place them in two tanks the same size and feed them the same amount of food, you will find 30-50% more waste from the fish with one of them versus a premium brand. Also you'll notice that the colors on the fish are bright but not nearly as sharp and vivid in koi that are feed ok quality food versus high grade food. last is the amount of growth versus amount of food that the fish intake. wardleys and top fin, maybe half the growth rate with the same amount of food. tetra more like 25% less. high quality food cost more, but you will get less waste, more growth, and healthier fish that grow faster. To me higher quality food actually brought more easier pond keeping and better looking fish and clearer water in the long run.

Ask a Question