Any chance of killing off scuds?

Reaction score
they cause me one big problem. They clog the holes in my fountain head. And more than once now I have come home from a day of work only to find my pond nearly empty. They can clog the head so bad, I end up with one stream jetting all the water out of the pond. .
Have you considered getting rid of the fountain? I don't think fountains and small ponds go together very well anyway. It's common for little ponds with fountains to loose water on a days with strong wind when the wind blows the fountain spray outside the pond. Perhaps just remove the fountain head so the water just burbles to the surface, or maybe add one of those poly waterfalls to your pond and run a hose to the waterfall.

I'm actually surprised you seem to have a thriving community of scuds in such a small pond.
We have local lake not far from where we live that is very popular for fishing. They stock it with trout every year and those trout grow very fast due to the abundant supply of natural food source in the lake,,,,, scuds. Scuds make up one-third to one-half of the trout's complete diet. No other food source comes close to matching that percentage.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've never heard amphipods referred to as scuds before.
Hmm.
IMG_9171.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Scuds, rolypolys/pillbugs and ladybugs, they're all foreign to me....don't you mean freshwater shrimps, woodlice and ladybirds!

Ask a Question