addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a bunch of mourning doves, so far the hawk or falcon have not been good at catching them.
they have good cover which helps. The ferrel cats seem to catch more than the birds do, I have put up cat blocking fencing around the feeders to give the birds a chance to escape them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That would be really sad if they don't find another mate. I just read something that said the oldest one lived 31 years. Every time I look up something about a bird it seems that the people at Cornell U have some of the best info. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mourning_Dove/lifehistory This is a description of their mating behavior (Note you must be 21 years or older to read this!): Members of a pair preen each other with gentle nibbles around the neck as a pair-bonding ritual. Eventually, the pair will progress to grasping beaks and bobbing their heads up and down in unison...

Reaction score
We have a Sparrow Hawk in the area. We've seen him in action a couple of times. Once right in the middle of the back garden, all that was left of a pigeon when he was finished was a ring of feathers on the grass!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love to listen to the sound of those Mourning Doves and the sound that their wings make when they fly away so fast!

Here is one of my new tiny little friends, so glad I got the feeder and boy they do eat a lot for such tiny things:

IMG_3864.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a pretty one jw, here we seem to have only the ruby breasted ones. In arizona we had tons of different hummers as they migrated through or just stayed there. I went through two large feeder bottles a day during the summer, sometimes 10 hummers at a time on one feeder. A little calmer here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy we also only have the ruby breasted ones here. That's a really pretty one, JW! I do have doves here, and love them.
Blackbirds had a baby in the pine tree today, so I was constantly checking to see who was causing Mom and Dad to be upset, either one of the cats or Yukon. Yukon was super simple to keep him away. He was barking at the baby that was on a low branch, he could have grabbed it, but instead was barking at it, as it was crying for Mom! Maybe Yukon was just trying to get my attention to show me his find! Anyhow, I told him to stay away of the baby, and he did. He would look at the tree, but he didn't go back under it again. I had to holler at the barn cats off and on all afternoon, though. I think the parents realized this and would really squawk when danger approached, so I would save their child. Maybe they needed to teach their baby to keep his mouth shut. Geesh, it was a "here I am, I'm a baby and can't fly, come eat me if you want" type of cry all afternoon. No wonder it has a hard time surviving. :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That is a pretty one jw, here we seem to have only the ruby breasted ones. In arizona we had tons of different hummers as they migrated through or just stayed there. I went through two large feeder bottles a day during the summer, sometimes 10 hummers at a time on one feeder. A little calmer here.
Strange, yesterday was the first time I ever saw two (male) Rubythroats feeding at the same time. Usually the scrappy little buggers chase each other from the feeder and then dine alone. We did have one Rufous here about 8 or 9 years ago.... must have been blown off course, since they are a western bird!
John

Reaction score
On the subject of hummingbirds I remembered I had made a little web page many years ago with some hummingbird pictures I took at my neighbours place. They had about 10 feeders set up around their deck and it seemed like every hummingbird for miles knew they were there. Standing on that deck was like being inside a bee hive with all the buzzing and activity. Anyway it made it easy to get shots of them feeding.
Here is the link http://southokanagan.biz/Hummers/
The camera I was using was a Canon powershot A10 which was only a one megapixel camera and my very first digital camera.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well got a visitor today, lost one fish, thought it was after a frog. But learned how the bird did the fishing.

A bitten came, raining nicely, it flew in, sat in the maple tree at the edge of the pond. Finally flew into the bog, investigated the chicken wire, it walked down to one area I don't have fenced, the pump area. I am changing out the pump and plumbing with my dragon pump so have not gotten around to putting up a good fence. Have it heron safe, I think, lol, but not bitten safe.
The little bitten walked around the fence, came through the small gap, and walked down the bog wall. It sat for a while on the bog waterfall rock, you could see it really wanted a fish, they were right below. The fish saw the bird and all went deep and to the middle of the pond. Then the bitten walked down to the skimmer area. I know a bunch of frogs hand out there, so we were watching, saw the frog jump into the pond, saw the bird tense, but it came up with a small goldfish. The fish must have been in the iris pots or right behind them. So now know what I need to do to stop this little guy. It can not fly in and land on the bog wall, it does need to walk in from the bog or yard, so need to close the gap, might even put the fencing over the bog wall instead of behind it. Can hardly see the fence with the plants that are growing.

The camera would not focus well for some reason, this video is the bitten fishing from the waterfall rock.

Here the bitten goes down the bog wall until it snags a small goldfish.

He sat in this tree in the back yard for quite a while thinking about the fish .........

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

From the net

Although common in much of its range, the American Bittern is usually well-hidden in bogs, marshes and wet meadows. Usually solitary, it walks stealthily among cattails or bulrushes. If it senses that it has been seen, the American Bittern becomes motionless, with its bill pointed upward, causing it to blend into the reeds. It is most active at dusk. More often heard than seen, this bittern has a call that resembles a congested pump.

This secretive bird inhabits areas of tall reeds and marshes, and it uses the defense of camoflauge to hide from intruders by imitating the coloration and movement of a reed. For this reason alone, American Bitterns are not easy wading birds to spot. You'll be more likely to hear one before seeing one, and if you catch a glimpse of this elusive heron, count yourself truly blessed!

This stocky heron is heavily streaked with tan, brown, and white over its entire body. Darker wings and flight feathers, a black face, and neck streaks accentuate the plumage. Males and females have similar plumage. The bittern has a 3 foot wingspan, and is approximately 2.5 feet long from the tip of its long pointed bill to the end of its tail. While the bird appears quite large, it weighs only about a pound.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes that was drama addy! Was neat to watch but felt bad for the poor fishy. He really wanted a fish and when he fell in like he did I was surprised he still came up w/ the fish. 3ft wing span eh?..............he sure looks small to me!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree looked small to me too. I am not going to make that floating plant island now, it would give the bird a place to land and fish from. This bird seems to like shallow boggy water. The pond is too deep for it to walk in, so why make it a floating food bar lol I can just see it standing on the plant island eating away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never thought of that addy. Would not be good at all. Poor fishies would be sushi for sure! Wonder if it's strong enough for a heron to land on?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
floating foam would be jw, so unless it is really small , not doing. Think might just do a netted plant ring or just do as I did last year, nothing................and the fish were happy, plants were happy, heron was unhappy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just sighed when the little sucker walked to the end of the chicken wire, made it through the one place I had not yet closed the gap. I made it heron proof, too small, but not bitten proof. Tearing down and moving the pump back, plumbing in a second pump, like I had in arizona, two pumps plumbed can run one or two. Mainly a safety net, if something happens to the running one, I can call my neighbors and ask them to just turn the other pump on, if we are out of town.

Ask a Question