addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks nice Colleen, now we need a picture of you smiling!

We are colder than normal, no question about it, flash freeze coming, wind chill -8 if not colder, day temp of 18, tomorrow, have not had this in a long time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well argh...went out this morning and pond was frozen over even above the bubbler and the deicer...noticed the power light wasn't on the cord to the deicer so had to boil some water to unfreeze the water frozen above the bubbler and plugged in a new extension cord to my deicer....gotta check it in an hour or two and see if the deicer is working again...not amused!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh and it's 8 degrees here now.....suppose to be in the lower 30's by weekend then again a deep freeze next week in the single digit's to -2 degrees at night

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bummer in the Summer rebel............oh wait it's 8* where you are and definitely still Winter :cold:
Hope your de-icer is going to work for you now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
We'll be into the mid-50's today, and then back to the lower 20's and snow tomorrow. Our overnight temps regularly stay in the teens, so no matter how warm it gets during the day I still have ice the next morning. Wednesday was really nice, I had the ice cleared up, topped off the water level, pulled out some more piles of leaves... and then woke up yesterday morning to another 1/2" of ice on the pond. I finally decided that if the ground temps are going to be so low this season, I need to just leave the little floating heater running for the Winter. Seems to have made a big difference, because this morning I woke up 4 hours earlier, and there wasn't any ice on the pond. Just have to wait and see how it works out tomorrow when the snow hits...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my deicer is a 1250 wt trough heater and phew so far it still has a small hole opened around it...the bubbler on the other hand had a nice dome over it that I melted with hot water and a bit of poking. Guess I should have gotten a 1500 wt one instead with this cold weather we've been having although it sounds like sunday night will be the coldest then we should return to 20's and 30's.....one can only hope!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
That's what I try to do... plan for the worst and hope for the best. I'm a bit further South than you are, but it sure makes a difference. I grew up in Iowa, so the weather here in Colorado just seems crazy to me! But its nice to have warm days in the Winter, and since we rarely get cold for more than a week at a time here, it allows me to take certain liberties with my pond (like keeping the waterfall running all year).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
We are at +9F this morning, and had snow all day yesterday. The pond finally froze over again last night, despite the heater still running, but there's a lot less ice forming on the waterfall. I think the pond is going to be just fine with the one heater running (and I'm sure the fish appreciate the extra heat), but if it gets real bad I also have a 1500 watt heater that I can drop in as needed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only a bit of ice in my floating pond ring this morning as temps are going down to the low 20's at night here but climb way back up to the 40's w/ nice warm sunshine. Could continue on this way all winter just fine as far as I'm concerned. Love the sunshine

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
minus 31 degrees last night, wind chill of minus 42 below C, I would say the pond is looking quite iced over, only a couple small holes here and there, thanks to the 1250 watt green pond heater.

We already have had extreme cold periods, down to minus 40 below zero, twice in the last 33 days! Last year we never went below minus 22 C. That was a nice winter, but that spring the bugs were really, REALLY bad, so I guess there should be much less bugs!

On the bright side, the sun is shining, and maybe spring will come in all nice like a "Lamb", but it is still ICE COLD at Minus 18 below zero Fahrenheit!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a lot of my pond melted, even with the ice storm going on, It sure is colder this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Colleen: we got down around -10F last night, but today we're back up to 27F. Quite a swing, and I had a good layer of ice on the pond before leaving for work, but it should melt off here soon. It was funny seeing the steam come off the waterfall when the temps are that cold, almost makes the pond look like a sauna.

Ask a Question