j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Our nights are finally starting to warm up again too. Only getting down to 35F tonight but that bad rain is coming our way now. Glad you are warming up some too drgn :cheerful:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The bright side to this cold weather .... Spring should be just Glorious!! can't wait, I can almost see it coming over the horizon, the evenings are brighter and not so dark quite so quick. Every day now is just a little bit longer, and come February and March the increase in daylight is very drastic. At least we are done with fall and the gloom of everything dead and dying gone with it. Spring will bring fresh new shoots and fresh new life to the pond and garden. Even now in the pond, the aquatic mint shoots are very powerfully scented even as they poke out new shoots threw the ice!

:)

Reaction score
One reason that I appreciate these harshly cold temps is that it kills off many of the nasty, pesty bugs.

Come spring, and early summer, there won't be as many pesky insects to annoy us because they couldn't survive the winter.

It is Natures way of balancing things.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep agree Gordy, we really do need a good cold winter, get rid of the bugs, maybe kill off some of those darn stink bugs. With the pond and all the critters that come with it, we have been pretty bug less in our yard. Even those yucky black cricket population has decreased. Too many frogs, toads, eating them. A good cold winter really helps.

I have huge feeders for the birds, the feed for almost 4 weeks, (40 lbs of food between two) then my house sitters will refill them. Got to keep my bird friends happy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey man I just found out that a gravel road I walk down every day only a few blocks away has an MJ growing operation in the old airport dome. All legal smeagel and everything. Will be interesting to see how that works out.
Maybe I can get a job there? I don't smoke but would be an interesting place to work :biggrinangelA:

I was out working in our yard trimming away the old brown dead stuff and noticed there are sprouts of certain plants coming up all over the place. Could Spring really be coming again soon?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have bulbs popping up here and there, daffodils. They seem to survive all types of weather.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think mine will survive just fine too...............I hope :cheerful:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My bulbs won't be comming up any time soon, unless we get a longer warmer spell, cause the ground here is frozen solid and pretty deep too this year I think. We have snow from last year under this years snow and probally two feet or three of permafrost!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know you get to the point you just don't worry about it, if they make it they make it, if not, plant something else. I have a few borderline crape myrtles, this winter may kill them off. They die back to ground level on a mild winter, i.e temps of the teens. They may die and not come back with this cold we are having.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
There's been a huge amount of discussion about the new green crops in Colorado, and I'm hearing that they're still doing a million dollar a day in business. I dunno, to hear some of these people talk, its like they think the whole State has become one big stoned sinkhole. Personally I haven't seen anything change at all. I'm just annoyed by the people who think this will bring the end of the world, while they sit there drinking their alcohol. I've certainly never heard of a raging stoner beating up their wife and kids...

I'll put away my soapbox now, before I really get going. It'll be interesting to see what happens with tourism once the weather warms up. I haven't seen anything start growing here yet, but we're going to be in the 40's again for the next week. Still waiting to see when the next storm is going to roll through.

Colleen - there's plenty of places to come visit, and lots to see. If you're coming to see the mountains, visit Rocky Mountain National Park. Ask the rangers for good places to see the wildlife. If you take the highway all the way up, you can go over the divide (top of the mountain) and see how the trees suddenly give way to tundra... bring a jacket at any time of year, but I still love going up there every so often.

Ask a Question