Anyone know where to find a pond breather?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What's a pond breather??
It's a device that permits important gas exchanges to occur when your pond freezes over. Unlike other devices like deicers, it uses way less energy. 40 watts to be exact. Some drivers can use 300, 750 or even as much as 1500 watts.

There's a very small pump that hangs under the water that pumps a small amount of water up through a clear plastic tube that towers above the water. In that clear plastic tower is a low wattage heat tape that ensures that it doesn't freeze up.

If you weren't aware, there needs to be at least a small opening in the ice to let out the bad gasses that can accumulate.

Obviously, if your climate is warm and you don't get ice, you don't need anything like this.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1659392445896.gif

@Steel Warrior
They must be hard to find online eh? I have none. I just looked on Amazon and out of stock. Bummer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 153111
@Steel Warrior
They must be hard to find online eh? I have none. I just looked on Amazon and out of stock. Bummer!
They don't make them anymore. I called the company today, Miller Manufacturing Company which API (Allied Precision Industries) became a part of, and was told they quit making them 2 years ago. Maybe if enough folks call them and ask them to reconsider, maybe they will. Kind of doubt it but who knows. Their number is 800-260-0888

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They don't make them anymore. I called the company today, Miller Manufacturing Company which API (Allied Precision Industries) became a part of, and was told they quit making them 2 years ago. Maybe if enough folks call them and ask them to reconsider, maybe they will. Kind of doubt it but who knows. Their number is 800-260-0888
I don't need anything like that here as we don't get hard or long freezes in Western Washington. Sorry for those of you who need and want them as I heard they are good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i just use an aerator but leave it in the shallows , you don't want to disturb the lowest part of the pond let that area sit and be still with a constant temp. all you need is air exchange so co2 can escape the water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I also can not find one of these for sale. Should have bought one when I first saw them I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Try Facebook Marketplace, I found a used one there. You can cover most of the USA by changing your location several times. I used Albany, NY; Cedar Rapids, IA; Denver, CO; Boise, ID; Savannah, GA; Dallas, TX; and Las Vegas, NV. Sooner or later one will show up.
This place in Canada has them but they're pretty expensive. https://www.earlysgarden.com/shop-o...breather-with-40w-heater?search=pond breather
I bought one from this place in Canada for $125 total. https://www.urbannaturestore.ca/ They don't show any in inventory, but I'd call as I believe they still do have some. Call 416-987-5826 and ask for Paul. Paul shipped one from one of their Canadian stores to a warehouse they have in Buffalo and then to me which saved me a ton in shipping (shipping from Canada is high due to Customs).

Ask a Question